Art

Default Bulleted lists

Hi & help,

When I hit the bulleted list icon on the toolbar I cannot seem to get a
consistent bullet. When I go to bullets and numbering, I see a list of 8
possible bullets. When I hit the icon, it doesn't automatically pick the
first one (or the first one after NONE). Secondly, when I tab I'd like the
second one to be selected.

Actually I'd be happy with any type of consitency. I'd rather not have to
go to Bullets and Numbering or Format each time I tab or start.

Can anyone direct me to the appropriate place to get find out how to make
this work -- or give me advice?

Thanks,

Art
Margaret Aldis

The only way to get consistency is to use a style. See

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Art" wrote in message
Hi & help,

When I hit the bulleted list icon on the toolbar I cannot seem to get a
consistent bullet. When I go to bullets and numbering, I see a list of 8
possible bullets. When I hit the icon, it doesn't automatically pick the
first one (or the first one after NONE). Secondly, when I tab I'd like
the
second one to be selected.

Actually I'd be happy with any type of consitency. I'd rather not have to
go to Bullets and Numbering or Format each time I tab or start.

Can anyone direct me to the appropriate place to get find out how to make
this work -- or give me advice?

Thanks,

Art

CyberTaz

Hi Art-

When I hit the icon, it doesn't automatically pick the
first one (or the first one after NONE).

The Automatic Bulleting that gets applied is based on the Bullet type that
was last used. If you want to revert to the original default (1st to the left
of 'None') after having used something else, you will have to reset it
manually. Then clicking the Bullets button will continue to use that style
until you select another style from the dialog box. I imagine this behavior
is predicated on the assumption that one should continue to use the same
style of bulleting throughout any given document... So the 'consistency' is
built in. The feature just can't tell by intuition when you change your mind.

Secondly, when I tab I'd like the
second one to be selected.

If you use your arrow keys in the Bullets & Numbering dialog box I believe
you will find the navigation capability you want. Also, the Tab key moves the
focus from one control to another on the active page, and Ctrl+Tab will
switch you from page to page.

HTH |:)

"Art" wrote:

Hi & help,

When I hit the bulleted list icon on the toolbar I cannot seem to get a
consistent bullet. When I go to bullets and numbering, I see a list of 8
possible bullets. When I hit the icon, it doesn't automatically pick the
first one (or the first one after NONE). Secondly, when I tab I'd like the
second one to be selected.

Actually I'd be happy with any type of consitency. I'd rather not have to
go to Bullets and Numbering or Format each time I tab or start.

Can anyone direct me to the appropriate place to get find out how to make
this work -- or give me advice?

Thanks,

Art

Pyth007

You can try making your own bulleting style. Start with a blank
document. Under the 'Format' menu, go to 'Styles and Formatting...'.
Hit the 'New Style' button to make your new style. In the first text
box, you can enter in a name for your new style (eg 'Arts List Style
1'). Then because you are wanting to change the style for bullets,
under 'Style Type' select 'Lists'. Then just go though editing how you
want each level to look (to edit a different layer, just select the
level that you want to 'Apply Formatting To:'). When you are done, just
save the document.

--
Pyth007
Art

Cyber...

Thanks for your help. I saw that it seemed to use the last bullet I had
picked, but thought that was because I was doing something wrong. Now that I
know that's the way it's supposed to work I should be able to cope with it
adequately.

Thanks again,

Art

Art

Margaret,

Thanks very much for the reference. It looks like it should be very helpful.

Art
Art

Pyth,

Thanks for the help!

Art
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Is Shauna Kelly's
(http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html) valid for MS
Word 2007?
--
Dave Robinson

"Art" wrote in message
Hi & help,

When I hit the bulleted list icon on the toolbar I cannot seem to get a
consistent bullet. When I go to bullets and numbering, I see a list of 8
possible bullets. When I hit the icon, it doesn't automatically pick the
first one (or the first one after NONE). Secondly, when I tab I'd like
the
second one to be selected.

Actually I'd be happy with any type of consitency. I'd rather not have to
go to Bullets and Numbering or Format each time I tab or start.

Can anyone direct me to the appropriate place to get find out how to make
this work -- or give me advice?

Thanks,

Art

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The principles still apply, but the methods are a bit different. To apply
bullet formatting to a paragraph, you can apply the built-in List Bullet
style. Use the Apply Styles pane to do that: Press Ctrl+Shift+S. In the
"Style name" box, type List Bullet, and then click Apply. You can modify the
bulleted style the same way you modify any style, for example, via the
Styles task pane (Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S).

If you want a multilevel list of bullets, set it up via Home tab |
Multilevel List | Define New List Style. For each level, pick a bulleted
symbol in the list box (or click New Bullet to specify a custom one). You
can still assign each level of the list to a paragraph style via the Modify
Multilevel List dialog box (which can be displayed via Format button,
Numbering).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP