Ed

Default How to add Diff Marks ONLY (without insert/delete edits showing?)

Hi -

How can I compare two documents and see/print a "Final" version
that has those margin diff marks on lines changed but NOT show
the insertions/deletions in the paragraphs? In other words,
my doc reviewers want to see diff marks that something changed
without the text getting all mangled showing both the newly
inserted words and the deleted words?

I know how to get diff marks turned on in the "outside" margins,
but when I "accept" the changes, the diff marks disappear.

I learned about "Legal Black Lines" but again I can only get
the black lines (diff marks) to appear when the compare/changes
also appear.

Hopefully I've made myself clear what I'm trying to do. As I
recall, Framemaker did this feature real easy.

Thanks much!
Ed

Doug Robbins

From the Tools menu, select Options and then go to the Track Changes tab and
set the Insertions and Deletions marks to None, while leaving the Changes
Lines mark to anything other None.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Ed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi -

How can I compare two documents and see/print a "Final" version
that has those margin diff marks on lines changed but NOT show
the insertions/deletions in the paragraphs? In other words,
my doc reviewers want to see diff marks that something changed
without the text getting all mangled showing both the newly
inserted words and the deleted words?

I know how to get diff marks turned on in the "outside" margins,
but when I "accept" the changes, the diff marks disappear.

I learned about "Legal Black Lines" but again I can only get
the black lines (diff marks) to appear when the compare/changes
also appear.

Hopefully I've made myself clear what I'm trying to do. As I
recall, Framemaker did this feature real easy.

Thanks much!
Ed

Ed

Thanks Doug and Suzanne, but those suggestions
did not work. Maybe it is because I am running
MS-Word 2002 SP3?

I set "Final Showing Markup", and I set "Track Changes".
In the "Show-Options" box I do set the "Changed Lines"
to marked, left margin, in black. I can see my changes
marked up, including those (ugly) deletions. Then I
attempt to "hide" them by DE-selecting the
"Show--Insertions and Deletions". As soon as I
uncheck it, both my diff mark in the margin disappears
and the (ugly) deletions.

Apparently there is a "Set deletions to Hidden" option
on the NEW versions of MS-Word which I do not have?

Thanks much,
Ed