Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Debra Ann

Default Quote shows up as Symbol

We have one specific document that when you type a quote " , you end up with
the symbol that looks like two less than signs together.

I checked the following:

1. The font is Arial, not a symbol type font.
2. The autocorrect do not contain a conversion of " to .
3. I even tried shutting of changes quotes to curly quotes.

Does anyone have a quess on what else to try?

Thanks.
--
Debra Ann
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

The language is set to French. The double chevrons are French smart quotes.

The symbols are correct in French. If your text is English then change the
language (Tools Language Set Language). You will have to correct the
quotes which are 'wrong' - they don't automatically switch when you change
the language.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Debra Ann" wrote in message
We have one specific document that when you type a quote " , you end up

with
the symbol that looks like two less than signs together.

I checked the following:

1. The font is Arial, not a symbol type font.
2. The autocorrect do not contain a conversion of " to .
3. I even tried shutting of changes quotes to curly quotes.

Does anyone have a quess on what else to try?

Thanks.
--
Debra Ann

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Even more bizarrely, running AutoFormat over it not only doesn't change the
symbols, it changes the language!

I changed the language in a blank document to French, typed some text
including quotation marks (which correctly appeared as guillemets), then
selected all the text and changed the language to English. When I hit the
AutoFormat button to AutoFormat the selected text, it was converted back to
French.

Well, that's what I thought had happened. In fact, what I found was that
going to Tools | Language | Set Language and changing the language to
English didn't "take," possibly *because* of the presence of the guillemets?

I've now found that if I select a portion of the text and format it as
English, then when I select all the text, neither French nor English is
highlighted in the Language dialog, and when I choose English, it works.
(But AutoFormat still doesn't change the guillemets to quotes.) I would have
to regard that as a bug.