Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen

Default Track Changes turned off, but still happening?

Even though I've turned Track Changes off in my document, sometimes when I
make edits, track changes still show up. This seems to happen for formatting
changes (like applying a different style, or renumbering if I delete an item
from a numbered list). Is this a bug, or is there some way to turn it off?

Incidentally, these changes are sometimes hard to accept - even if I select
the entire paragraph and click "accept change" it still shows as marked. This
is variable though - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jan

I assume you mean that tracking changes is off, and that the TRK in the
status bar is *not* dark.

If so, then I've experienced this, and I think it's a bug.

Try the following, which are listed in order from easy to not easy:

1. Close Word, re-boot the machine and try again.

2. On the Reviewing toolbar, click down arrow next to the "Accept change"
button and choose "Accept all changes".

3. Create a new document. Turn ON track changes in your document, and copy
and paste everything except the last paragraph mark to the new document.

If none of that works, post back and let us know.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jen" wrote in message
Even though I've turned Track Changes off in my document, sometimes when I
make edits, track changes still show up. This seems to happen for
formatting
changes (like applying a different style, or renumbering if I delete an
item
from a numbered list). Is this a bug, or is there some way to turn it off?

Incidentally, these changes are sometimes hard to accept - even if I
select
the entire paragraph and click "accept change" it still shows as marked.
This
is variable though - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen

Thanks Shauna - I've seen it several times, and I figured it was a bug, but
it helps to know I'm not the only one!

Yes, I actually do have Track Changes turned off - the toolbar button isn't
highlighted.

It hasn't been a problem, since I am able to get the changes accepted
eventually (at least so far). But I'll keep your suggestions in mind in case
they begin to persist more stubbornly!!

Thanks,
Jen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Busy Barb Busy Barb is offline

Mine isn't actually tracking the changes, but when I close the document, it
still says that the document contains tracked changes - continue with save?
I tried your suggestions with no luck.

Busy Barb

"Jen" wrote:

Even though I've turned Track Changes off in my document, sometimes when I
make edits, track changes still show up. This seems to happen for formatting
changes (like applying a different style, or renumbering if I delete an item
from a numbered list). Is this a bug, or is there some way to turn it off?

Incidentally, these changes are sometimes hard to accept - even if I select
the entire paragraph and click "accept change" it still shows as marked. This
is variable though - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello BB

Busy Barb wrote:
Mine isn't actually tracking the changes, but when I close the document, it
still says that the document contains tracked changes [..]

that's not a contradiction: a document may have (existing) tracked
changes -- or not; and it may be set to track further changes -- or not.

If you simply turn off Tracking (for instance, by clicking on the TRK on
the status bar), existing tracked changes are not concerned by this. If
you want to get rid of these, you have to either globally or one by one
resolve the existing tracked changes (accepting or rejecting them).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Confused is offline

I have been editing a document with track changes. Now I want to turn off
track changes, but the icon is already showing it's turned off (not colored).
AND I can't get the accept or reject buttons to become active (they're
grayed out). I've already tried shutting down and restarting.

I'm trying to use a cleaner version of the document. I tried to "save as"
into a new document as well so that I could "accept all" in that version and
turn off track changes, but this doesn't work either.

Any solutions?

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello BB

Busy Barb wrote:
Mine isn't actually tracking the changes, but when I close the document, it
still says that the document contains tracked changes [..]

that's not a contradiction: a document may have (existing) tracked
changes -- or not; and it may be set to track further changes -- or not.

If you simply turn off Tracking (for instance, by clicking on the TRK on
the status bar), existing tracked changes are not concerned by this. If
you want to get rid of these, you have to either globally or one by one
resolve the existing tracked changes (accepting or rejecting them).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You didn't mention the version of Word, but if you turn on tracking can you then accept/reject all changes and then turn off
tracking?

If in Word 2007 are there other icons on the ribbon greyed out? If so, you may want to check
Office Button=Prepare
and see the icon for 'Mark as Final' is outlined. If so, click it to turn off that status and try accepting the changes at that
point.

If not, in the Review Tab, check 'Protect Document'
click 'Restrict Formatting and Editing' and if offered choose [Stop Protection]

===========
"Confused" wrote in message ...
I have been editing a document with track changes. Now I want to turn off
track changes, but the icon is already showing it's turned off (not colored).
AND I can't get the accept or reject buttons to become active (they're
grayed out). I've already tried shutting down and restarting.

I'm trying to use a cleaner version of the document. I tried to "save as"
into a new document as well so that I could "accept all" in that version and
turn off track changes, but this doesn't work either.

Any solutions?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP