Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jmill Jmill is offline

Default Select all, copy and paste doesn't copy the header

I have a user in Word 2003 who does a select all, copy, and then pastes into
a new blank document. For some reason the header never gets selected and
copied. This only happens on his machine and it doesn't matter if the header
contains just text or graphics. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The header will be included only if you copy the relevant section break or
the final paragraph mark in the document. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...ectionInfo.htm and do the
opposite, or see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

"Jmill" wrote in message
I have a user in Word 2003 who does a select all, copy, and then pastes

into
a new blank document. For some reason the header never gets selected and
copied. This only happens on his machine and it doesn't matter if the

header
contains just text or graphics. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jmill Jmill is offline

Thank You Suzanne, but he's performing a "Select All" by means of the CTRL+A
keystroke (I've also done it through the Edit Menu). And I made sure it
included the last paragraph mark...there are no section breaks. I'm still
getting the same result. So I'm wondering if it's something with the copy
and paste versus the selecting.

"Jmill" wrote in message
I have a user in Word 2003 who does a select all, copy, and then pastes

into
a new blank document. For some reason the header never gets selected and
copied. This only happens on his machine and it doesn't matter if the

header
contains just text or graphics. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you paste into an existing document, you're pasting the text into the
existing formatting, which is held in the final paragraph of that document.
If you insert a section break at the end of the material to be copied and
include that, then it will bring its formatting (and header/footer) with it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The header will be included only if you copy the relevant section break

or
the final paragraph mark in the document. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...ectionInfo.htm and do

the
opposite, or see

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm