Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayorbev jayorbev is offline

Default Update Table of Contents with Word 2007?

Using Windows XP SP2 and I can not find how to update a TOC when new headings
are added.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:43:05 -0800, jayorbev
wrote:

Using Windows XP SP2 and I can not find how to update a TOC when new headings
are added.

Put the cursor anywhere in the TOC and press F9 to update the field,
or right-click in the TOC and choose Update Field -- that's the same
as for any field and for any version of Word.

A new feature in Word 2007 is that when the cursor is in the TOC,
there's a title tab at the top that says "Update Table..." and
clicking that does the same as the F9 update.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
eserules eserules is offline

I am trying to simply Update TOC in word 2000. Do you by any chance know how
to do that?

"jayorbev" wrote:

Using Windows XP SP2 and I can not find how to update a TOC when new headings
are added.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BEVatUC BEVatUC is offline

When in a table of contents in 2007, I cannot get the new title tab at the
top to appear. What option do I neet to set to see it?

wrote:

Using Windows XP SP2 and I can not find how to update a TOC when new headings
are added.

Put the cursor anywhere in the TOC and press F9 to update the field,
or right-click in the TOC and choose Update Field -- that's the same
as for any field and for any version of Word.

A new feature in Word 2007 is that when the cursor is in the TOC,
there's a title tab at the top that says "Update Table..." and
clicking that does the same as the F9 update.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I should have been clearer about that...

In Word 2003 and earlier, when you use the Insert Reference Table of
Contents dialog, it inserts a TOC field in the document. You can still
insert the same kind of field in Word 2007 by going through the Quick Parts
Fields dialog, or it may appear when you open a document that was created

with a TOC in an earlier version.

But if you create a new table of contents in Word 2007 by going to the
References ribbon, clicking the Table of Contents button, and choosing one
of the items from the gallery, the TOC field is enclosed in a "content
control" that appears as a blue box around the table of contents. The title
tab appears on the upper left corner of the blue box. The tab contains
buttons for "Remove TOC" and "Update Field". Putting the cursor somewhere
inside the TOC and pressing F9 to update it also still works.

wrote:

Using Windows XP SP2 and I can not find how to update a TOC when
new headings are added.

Put the cursor anywhere in the TOC and press F9 to update the field,
or right-click in the TOC and choose Update Field -- that's the same
as for any field and for any version of Word.

A new feature in Word 2007 is that when the cursor is in the TOC,
there's a title tab at the top that says "Update Table..." and
clicking that does the same as the F9 update.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Jay Freedman wrote:
[snip]
contents. The title tab appears on the upper left corner of the blue
box. The tab contains buttons for "Remove TOC" and "Update Field".
Putting the cursor somewhere inside the TOC and pressing F9 to update
it also still works.

Oops... instead of "Remove TOC", that should be "a button for showing the
TOC gallery or removing the TOC". It's pretty much a duplicate of the Table
of Contents button on the ribbon.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BEVatUC BEVatUC is offline

Jay thanks for responding. I have the content control box appear on my PC.
But on another laptop I am using, it does not appear when in the table of
contents. Updating the table can still be done the other ways. I am just
curious as to why it doesn't appear and if there is a setting to bring it
back.