Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] don.hosek@gmail.com is offline

Default Word macro to extract chapter preserving chapter and page numbering

I'd like to be able to easily create a new word document from a
chapter in a multi-chapter document. What would be really groovy would
be to be prompted for a chapter number and let Word find it on its
own, but short of that, what I'd like to do is be able to select a
portion of a document, run the macro and have a new word document
created with the first chapter number being the number of the first
chapter of the selected portion and the first page number being the
number of the first selected page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Personally I would leave it as a single document which will be much easier
to manage.
How are the chapters indicated so the macro would be able to recognise them?
If you change the page numbers in the individual documents, they will not be
correct if you edit the text in any of the documents or change the printer
driver.
Word can handle documents of thousands of pages.

wrote:
I'd like to be able to easily create a new word document from a
chapter in a multi-chapter document. What would be really groovy would
be to be prompted for a chapter number and let Word find it on its
own, but short of that, what I'd like to do is be able to select a
portion of a document, run the macro and have a new word document
created with the first chapter number being the number of the first
chapter of the selected portion and the first page number being the
number of the first selected page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 11, 10:19 pm, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Personally I would leave it as a single document which will be much easier
to manage.
How are the chapters indicated so the macro would be able to recognise them?
If you change the page numbers in the individual documents, they will not be
correct if you edit the text in any of the documents or change the printer
driver.
Word can handle documents of thousands of pages.

It's for getting pages out to members of my critique group. They don't
want the whole MS, just the chapter under discussion. Each chapter
begins with a "Heading1" styled paragraph which is where the auto-
numbering comes from.

So, assuming that I'm going with a prompted interface, what I need to
do is find the paragraph tagged heading1 with number x, determine what
page it starts on, then select everything from that heading up to the
next heading1 (or end of the document, whichever comes first), copy it
into a new document, set the numbering on heading1 to start with the
correct number and page numbering to start with the correct page
number. This is what I do manually now.

-dh