Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Martha Martha is offline

Default Basic Copy & paste - losing text

Hi,
I am copying a table from one Word document into another. Some of the text
disappears when copied into the second document. When you add the text, the
spacing changes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Martha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

"Martha" wrote:

Hi,
I am copying a table from one Word document into another. Some of the text
disappears when copied into the second document. When you add the text, the
spacing changes. What am I doing wrong?

Can you describe what happens when text "disappears"... U.e., how often it
does, under what circumstances (If it does not happen all the time, when it
does, what seems to be a commomn factor)? What Word version?

If after pasting text the spacing changes, it means that you are copying
text into a document that uses the same style names that the source document
was uisng. The destination document applies the styles it has. In later
version of Word (2000 and up I believe), immediatley after pasting, you have
a paste options icon in the bottom right corner of the pasted elements. Click
on that and select "Keep Source Formatting" (Which is the default, except
when using custiom styles).
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Martha Martha is offline

Hi,
Thanks for responding.

I have Word 2007. The table is a list of text with 5 columns. An X is
inserted for whichever column is appropriate. Copy & paste from document 1 to
2 results in random lines of the list not having the X but others do. When I
type an X into the pasted document, the spacing changes so the section of the
table for that list will have some lines spaced single and some spaced
double.

I can insert the Xs to correct the missing ones but I don't know how to make
all the lines look the same width. Does that make sense?

Martha

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Martha" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Martha Martha is offline

Thank you for the help. I was able to click on use source formatting. I had
never seen that box, I guess because I didn't look at the end of the table.