AW

Default Protecting section of form while using Auto TOC elsewhere.

Using Word 2000, I am creating a doc with form fields on the first page only,
so therefore, I'll need to protect that section only, and the remainder of
the document will be a normal document (unprotected) allowing complete
freedom to the person filling in text.

When I protect the first section, I notice that I cannot automatically
update my automatic table of contents any longer. If this won't work, then
is there another way to separate the first page from the rest of the document
but some way to make them forever linked so they cannot get lost one from the
other - perhaps using Master documents?

One other thing I wanted to do was fill in one field on the first page
(which is protected) and have that content get filled in elsewhere in the
document (in the unprotected section). I know if the entire doc was
protected, that I could use macros to auto fill another field upon filling in
the first field but that is not my case.

The overall goal is to have a very user-friendly document for novice users.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QVc=?=,

The easy part, first: Form fields generally have names (by default, something
like Text1); these names are also bookmarks. So you can insert a cross-reference
to an existing form field to display its content elsewhere in the document.

Now for the tough part, the TOC. In my experience, TOCs generally do not update
properly in a document protected as a form. Irregardless of whether they're in a
protected or unprotected section (unprotected section is better). The best
solution would certainly be to use a macro that unprotects, forces the TOC
update, then reprotects. Since your goal is mainly to make everything easier for
the novice user, this might be a valid approach.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

La La Lara

Cindy,

I have the same problem as AW with getting a ToC to update in a form. But
what would the macro be? If I set up a macro to unprotect the doc, update
the ToC and then re-protect the document, then the info that I have put in
the form fields will be lost when the form is re-protected. Help!!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...lfResetOff.htm.
--

[...]