Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ianb Ianb is offline

Default table of contents not updating

Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview. The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you right-click, is the Update Field command greyed out? If so, the TOC
could be locked. With the insertion point inside the TOC, click
Ctrl+Shift+F11. Can you update it now?

If the command is not greyed out, what happens when you try to update? Do
you see a message of some sort?

What is missing from the TOC? Certain heading levels? Text from specific
areas of the document?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ianb" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents
doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview. The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ianb Ianb is offline

Hi Suzanne

Please see notes below and also reply to stefan

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's also possible that the TOC has been unlinked or perhaps even created
manually rather than with a TOC field.

In order to get the TOC I have to keep deleting it and recreating it and the
recreated one still doesn't update. Also hyperlinks remain functional

"Ianb" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents
doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview. The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very odd. Try opening the document using the Open and Repair option and see
if this makes any difference.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's also possible that the TOC has been unlinked or perhaps even

created
manually rather than with a TOC field.

In order to get the TOC I have to keep deleting it and recreating it and

the
recreated one still doesn't update. Also hyperlinks remain functional

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ianb" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents
doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview.

The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would

be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ianb Ianb is offline

Hi Suzanne

The document has some macros including an autoexec. On a hunch I deleted
these and the TOC is now working.

The macros managed some document variables (custom and standard) including
data collection.

Are you aware of any conflicts here?

Cheers

Ian

"Ianb" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents
doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview.

The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would

be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I considered that, too, but then there would be no Update Field command on
the context menu, of course. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ianb" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents
doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview. The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ianb Ianb is offline

Hi Stefan - see my notes below

please also note by reply to Suzanne

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

When you right-click, is the Update Field command greyed out? If so, the TOC

No - not greyed out

could be locked. With the insertion point inside the TOC, click
Ctrl+Shift+F11. Can you update it now?

Tried Ctrl+Shift+F11 - no noticable difference

If the command is not greyed out, what happens when you try to update? Do
you see a message of some sort?

No message. It looks like processing is happening (I get teh hourglass for a
split second there is also a brief message that word is repaginating) but no
change

What is missing from the TOC? Certain heading levels? Text from specific
areas of the document?

Nothing is missing then I add a new level 1 heading and choose Update and
the heading is not included in the TOC

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ianb" wrote in message
Hi

I have a problem with a word document in which the Table of Contents
doesnot
update when I right clck and Update field or when I print preview. The
document is not protected and I can't see an other reason it would be
happening.

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and XP professional

Thanks

Ian B

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted. Your replies do not indicate a problem with the
TOC itself; like Suzanne, I believe the macro caused the problems. Thank you
for the feedback, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP