jade3137

Default Keep original formatting of document INSERTED into another doc?

I am inserting a document at the end of my main document. However, when I
insert it, the formatting for the document I am INSERTing changes to the
formatting of the main document. I would like to find out how to insert a
document at the end of my main document without the inserted document's
format changing.
Herb Tyson [MVP]

The only way to do it in Word would be if the inserted document uses an
entirely different set of styles (different names). That's because in a
given document, Word will "observe" only one style definition at a time.

From a practical standpoint, this can be pretty hard to achieve. A
work-around sometimes suggested is to convert both document parts to PDF
files, then put them together.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"jade3137" wrote in message
I am inserting a document at the end of my main document. However, when I
insert it, the formatting for the document I am INSERTing changes to the
formatting of the main document. I would like to find out how to insert a
document at the end of my main document without the inserted document's
format changing.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

When I've tried it, the resulting object didn't display correctly. It kept
the original formatting, sort of, but it didn't lay out the same way, and
didn't display at all in Print Preview.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:
The only way to do it in Word would be if the inserted document uses an
entirely different set of styles (different names). That's because in a
given document, Word will "observe" only one style definition at a time.

From a practical standpoint, this can be pretty hard to achieve. A

"jade3137" wrote in message
I am inserting a document at the end of my main document. However, when
insert it, the formatting for the document I am INSERTing changes to the
formatting of the main document. I would like to find out how to insert
document at the end of my main document without the inserted document's
format changing.

Klaus Linke

Sorry, "Insert Object" would be for inserting an empty doc with its own
set of styles.
For an existing doc, copy its content and use "Edit Paste special
Microsoft Word document object".
The result both times is an embedded Word doc (EMBED field).

You do loose headers and footers and other page layout settings.
I haven't noticed problems with Print Preview... but don't use it that
often.

Greetings,
Klaus

"Klaus Linke" wrote:
If the inserted doc fits on a page, you could also try "Insert Object
Microsoft Word Document".

Greetings,
Klaus

document info / formatting added to actual document Michael Griffin Microsoft Word Help 1 August 9th 05 04:49 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
improved document reverted to original after cut off computer- ca. erniemac0907 Microsoft Word Help 1 March 26th 05 03:15 PM
What defines the original size of an inserted OLE object. ebr@lm Microsoft Word Help 1 March 8th 05 05:49 PM
Formatting of Subdocument via "INCLUDE" into a Master Document Ron Lee Formatting Long Documents 5 February 17th 05 08:31 PM