Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian

Default Headers/Footers

I have a document with 36 sections in it. I'd like for the first page to have
one header and then for all other pages with the document to have a second
header. It seems like I have to copy and past the header into each section of
the document. Is there an easy to way to make the sections 2-36 headers the
same?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you initially insert section breaks, all the headers and footers should
be linked (the Same as Previous or Link to Previous button on the Header and
Footer toolbar is turned on). To create a different header in the first
section, unlink just Section 2 from Section 1, leaving Sections 2-36 linked,
and any text you put in the header of Section 2 will be repeated in the
rest. Unless you really need a section break after the first page, you can
use the "Different first page" setting (Layout tab of Page Setup) to get a
First Page Header that you put that header text into, leaving the Header for
the remaining pages/sections.

For more on all of this, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a document with 36 sections in it. I'd like for the first page to

have
one header and then for all other pages with the document to have a second
header. It seems like I have to copy and past the header into each section

of
the document. Is there an easy to way to make the sections 2-36 headers

the
same?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TedMi

Headers and Footers have a property "Same as Previous", which is turned on by
default when you create a new section in a doc with headers. In your case,
you want to TURN OFF Same as Previous in Sec. 2, and leave it ON for all
subsequent sections. This property is controlled by a button on the H/F
toolbar which appears when you click View \ Headers&Footers
--
Ted

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian

Ok. Thanks! Now how about this. The first section spans about 5 pages. Again,
I want the first page to have one type of header and the remaining pages to
have another type of header, which matches the remaining sections.

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a document with 36 sections in it. I'd like for the first page to

have
one header and then for all other pages with the document to have a second
header. It seems like I have to copy and past the header into each section

of
the document. Is there an easy to way to make the sections 2-36 headers

the
same?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You will have to set up two headers, the first page hearder and the
continuation header (default header). Start with all sections marked Same as
Previous. Then in section 2 - end change the section setting to not have a
different first page header. The continuation header will become the header
for every page in those sections.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a document with 36 sections in it. I'd like for the first page

have
one header and then for all other pages with the document to have a
second
header. It seems like I have to copy and past the header into each
section

of
the document. Is there an easy to way to make the sections 2-36 headers

the
same?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As stated, you need to enable "Different first page" in that section and
create your First Page Header different from the primary Header.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a document with 36 sections in it. I'd like for the first page

have
one header and then for all other pages with the document to have a

second
header. It seems like I have to copy and past the header into each

section
of
the document. Is there an easy to way to make the sections 2-36

headers
the
same?

Word, Sections, and Headers/Footers Crush T Velour New Users 1 September 5th 05 04:39 PM
How do I make all the headers/footers use one reference? ibs81 Microsoft Word Help 2 June 14th 05 11:27 PM
formatting headers/footers grlgeek Microsoft Word Help 6 May 22nd 05 12:14 PM
Headers/Footers Alberto Page Layout 1 May 20th 05 10:00 AM
Table headers/footers and layout Keith Page Layout 1 April 8th 05 07:37 PM