kbesel

Default Bold/underlining the whole document when I don't want it to.

In Word 2003, when I try to highlight and bold (or underline or center, etc.)
just one particular phrase of sentence, it makes the change to the entire
document. How do I turn this off? I've tried turning off auto format and
that doesn't seem to make a difference.
Greg Maxey

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

kbesel wrote:
In Word 2003, when I try to highlight and bold (or underline or
center, etc.) just one particular phrase of sentence, it makes the
change to the entire document. How do I turn this off? I've tried
turning off auto format and that doesn't seem to make a difference.

tjtjjtjt

Sounds like your Style is set to update Automatically.
Click on some of the text this happens to.
Then, go to Format | Styles and Formatting
A Task Pane should appear on the right side of the screen.
Without clicking, move your mouse pointer over the White Box beneath
Formatting of Selected Text.
A Drop-down arrow will appear at the right edge of the box. Click on the
arrow and then choose Modify.
Near the bottom right side of the dialog, you should see a check box next to
Automatically Update. Uncheck it, then try applying your formatting again.

tj