SoWrite

Default Help! TOC troubleshooting

-4I have a long document in which I've marked my TOC entries from levels 1-4.
For some reason now, rather than generating the TOC, I'm getting a field
message {TOC\o "1-4" \f \h \z}. What IS this and why won't toggling the
field codes fix it?

SoWrite

Yes, you would think it would, wouldn't you? I must've done it 30 times,
highlighting the entire 100-pg document, right clicking or Alt-F9'ing ... it
finally worked at about 3 a.m., but it was quite a struggle, and I still
don't know what the code means...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Toggling field codes (Alt+F9) should be all that's required, as that is
clearly a TOC field code.

"SoWrite" SoWrite @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
-4I have a long document in which I've marked my TOC entries from levels

1-4.
For some reason now, rather than generating the TOC, I'm getting a field
message {TOC\o "1-4" \f \h \z}. What IS this and why won't toggling the
field codes fix it?

The code means that your TOC includes Headings 1-4, plus entries derived
from TC fields, the entries are hyperlinked, and the tabs and dot leaders
before the page numbers are suppressed in Web Layout view. For more, see the
Help topic "Field codes: TOC (Table of Contents) field and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Toggling field codes (Alt+F9) should be all that's required, as that is
clearly a TOC field code.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.