Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
K Bri K Bri is offline

Default Putting existing word documents on letterhead

I have a large number of word ducuments that were typically printed onto
letterhead. We would like to use them for electronoc communication and need
to have letterhead added to each document. I have letterhead saved as a
template but it seems to only work when creating a new document. I tried
changing the template unders toolstemplateds and addinschoose letterhead
template saved in the template directory. My template is saved with at
..dot extension.
I have not had much success. Can anyone offerany solutions?

Thanks,

--
K Bri
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Changing which template is attached to a document will never affect the
content -- see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html.

You could adapt the macro shown at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm to insert the letterhead
into all the documents in a folder. Exactly how to do that depends on the
structure of the documents (assuming they're all in the same format) and
what's in the letterhead and where it is (in the body or in the first-page
header).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

K Bri wrote:
I have a large number of word ducuments that were typically printed
onto letterhead. We would like to use them for electronoc
communication and need to have letterhead added to each document. I
have letterhead saved as a template but it seems to only work when
creating a new document. I tried changing the template unders
toolstemplateds and addinschoose letterhead template saved in the
template directory. My template is saved with at .dot extension.
I have not had much success. Can anyone offerany solutions?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you put all of the documents in a folder by themselves and then navigate
to that folder when asked to by the macro created with the following code,
it will create a new folder under that folder with the name \Processed and
it will open each document and insert the contents into a new file created
from the template containing your letter head. You will need to change the
path and template name in the line Set NewDoc = so that it matches your
situation.

Dim MyPath As String
Dim MyName As String
Dim Mydoc As Document
Dim DocRange As Range
Dim NewDoc As Document

'let user select a path
With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display() -1 Then Exit Sub
MyPath = .Directory
End With
MkDir MyPath & "\Processed"

'strip quotation marks from path

If Len(MyPath) = 0 Then Exit Sub

If Asc(MyPath) = 34 Then
MyPath = Mid$(MyPath, 2, Len(MyPath) - 2)
End If

'get files from the selected path
'and insert them into the doc
MyName = Dir$(MyPath & "*.*")
Do While MyName ""
Set Mydoc = Documents.Open(MyPath & MyName)
Set DocRange = Mydoc.Range.FormattedText
Set NewDoc = Documents.Add("C:\Documents and Settings\[User
Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Letterhead.dot")
NewDoc.Range.FormattedText = DocRange
NewDoc.SaveAs MyPath & "\Processed\" & MyName
Mydoc.Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
MyName = Dir
Loop

--