Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
George George is offline

Default W-2003 Mail merge - Recipients/Edit/Customize - viewing pane (pain

When I re-order the list of fields under the "Customize" tab, the fields
respond and are re-ordered appropriately in that pane, but they don't
re-order likewise in the recipients viewing pane.

I would like to have certain key fields within view on the left side of the
pane as soon as I bring up the recipients window. However, when re-ordering
them in "Customize" they may jump left or right in the recipients viewing
pane seemingly without design.

I have gone into the database table and re-ordered them there but that
disables "edit" in the viewing pane (grayed out). I assume that procedure
breaks some linking that has occurred when the recipient table is initially
populated.

What gives?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes,
a. you can resequence the columns in the Recipients dialog box, but the
sequence will not "stick" and will eventually revert
b. what I believe is happening is that Word looks for "address" type fields
with specific names such as firstname, lastname and so on, and displays them
in a predefined sequence in the dialog box regardless of their position in
your data source
c. the only way I know to "solve" this is to prefix your fieldnames with
numbers so that
- Word doesn't recognise the names as being special
- Word doesn't attempt to resequence, or sequences them in the ASCII order
of the names.

e.g. instead of FirstName, LastName, City, use 01FirstName, 02LastName,
03City and so on.

Nasty, but if the sequence is more important to you, it's probably the way
to go.

Peter Jamieson

"George" wrote in message
When I re-order the list of fields under the "Customize" tab, the fields
respond and are re-ordered appropriately in that pane, but they don't
re-order likewise in the recipients viewing pane.

I would like to have certain key fields within view on the left side of
the
pane as soon as I bring up the recipients window. However, when
re-ordering
them in "Customize" they may jump left or right in the recipients viewing
pane seemingly without design.

I have gone into the database table and re-ordered them there but that
disables "edit" in the viewing pane (grayed out). I assume that procedure
breaks some linking that has occurred when the recipient table is
initially
populated.

What gives?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
George George is offline

Default W-2003 Mail merge - Recipients/Edit/Customize - viewing pane (

Your solution does resequence the fields in the view pane. It felt good to be
able to trick it. But, I found that all the fields have to be numbered or the
numbered ones just end up in the right side of the view and the un-numbered
ones in the left. Being basically lazy and not wanting to reinsert the newly
re-named fields in my documents, I'll leave them as they are for now.

Thank you.

"George" wrote in message
When I re-order the list of fields under the "Customize" tab, the fields
respond and are re-ordered appropriately in that pane, but they don't
re-order likewise in the recipients viewing pane.

I would like to have certain key fields within view on the left side of
the
pane as soon as I bring up the recipients window. However, when
re-ordering
them in "Customize" they may jump left or right in the recipients viewing
pane seemingly without design.

I have gone into the database table and re-ordered them there but that
disables "edit" in the viewing pane (grayed out). I assume that procedure
breaks some linking that has occurred when the recipient table is
initially
populated.

What gives?

printing difficultiies using mail merge in word flybynight Mailmerge 1 December 3rd 06 06:58 PM
how smart can a word 2003 mail merge letter be? Jesse Aufiero Mailmerge 6 November 30th 06 01:56 PM
mail merge in 2003 cruser01 Mailmerge 1 December 15th 05 05:33 AM
2003 Small Business - Mail Merge from Excel Sheet Duplication Oddi Los Mailmerge 1 May 4th 05 02:52 PM