Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default My Places--Another Question

A few on this board helped me get over the loss of Favorites in Word 2003.
Well, I am not really over it yet, but trying t move on. I am having
trouble getting a Word file into "My Places." The line for that in the File
OPerations window is grayed out. I seem to be able to add folders to My
Places, but can I put a shortcut to a file there? I also know I can add
this file to Favorites (which isn't really gone, just its easy use), and get
to the desired file in an extra step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The Places Bar accepts only folders. For files, use the Work Menu; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm (and be sure to note how to
*remove* files from the menu).

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
A few on this board helped me get over the loss of Favorites in Word 2003.
Well, I am not really over it yet, but trying t move on. I am having
trouble getting a Word file into "My Places." The line for that in the

File
OPerations window is grayed out. I seem to be able to add folders to My
Places, but can I put a shortcut to a file there? I also know I can add
this file to Favorites (which isn't really gone, just its easy use), and

get
to the desired file in an extra step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Susan:

Well, after reading that paper all I can say is, well, gulp! The sorts of
files I would like to bookmark (i.e., note as what used to be Favorites in
Word 2003, or put in the My Places if it were possible, are not themselves
carved in stone. I am sure this Work Menu has some meaningful use somehow,
but it is not very apparent. And, to top it off, there seems to be some
danger to it, as well. I think I can live with the slightly Klutzy
work-around I described. meanwhile, I would like to whip with wet noodles
the dweeb(s) who decided users no longer want to bookmark Word files.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The Places Bar accepts only folders. For files, use the Work Menu; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm (and be sure to note how to
*remove* files from the menu).

so
all may benefit.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
A few on this board helped me get over the loss of Favorites in Word
2003.
Well, I am not really over it yet, but trying t move on. I am having
trouble getting a Word file into "My Places." The line for that in the

File
OPerations window is grayed out. I seem to be able to add folders to My
Places, but can I put a shortcut to a file there? I also know I can add
this file to Favorites (which isn't really gone, just its easy use), and

get
to the desired file in an extra step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I find the Work menu invaluable. It will hold up to nine of the files I use
most frequently (but not necessarily always those used most recently, which
appear on the MRU list at the bottom of the File menu). It is exceedingly
easy to add files to the list and not difficult to remove them. I don't see
your objection.

Moreover, if you really want to use the Favorites folder, you can still add
it to My Places, and files in that folder are just as accessible as they
always were; it's just a bit more difficult to add them there. But here's a
sort of solution. Add a shortcut to the Favorites folder to your Send To
folder in Windows. Then, to add a file to Favorites:

1. Right-click on the filename and choose Create Shortcut.

2. Right-click on the shortcut and choose Send To | Favorites.

3. Delete the shortcut in the file folder.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
A few on this board helped me get over the loss of Favorites in Word
2003.
Well, I am not really over it yet, but trying t move on. I am having
trouble getting a Word file into "My Places." The line for that in the

File
OPerations window is grayed out. I seem to be able to add folders to

My
Places, but can I put a shortcut to a file there? I also know I can

add
this file to Favorites (which isn't really gone, just its easy use),

and
get
to the desired file in an extra step.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Thanks. I am already using My Places for a bunch of folders I regularly
access. The problem with Files is that the ones I have as Favorites change
pretty regularly. E.g., files in particular legal cases (a month or two
from now I will get rid of the shortcuts and replace them with others) or
monthly logs (I keep monthly logs for several things; every month th eold
logs are replaced by new ones) so the Work Menu seems to have limited use
for me, at lest the way I have structured everything. On the other hand, I
have figured out how to get the Favorites in to My Places. I can still
access Favorites and add/subtract shortcuts there. In short, I can do
pretty much everything with favorites that I used to. It is a little more
awkward, but I can live with it.

But I will look again at the Work Menu. It may well have some use for files
whose content may change but file name (and thus the shortcut) shokuld
remain unchanged.

[...]

Round numbers to 2 decimal places when using Word Mail Merge ALJ Mailmerge 3 April 30th 23 02:49 PM
Set number of decimal places in bookmark Ray_Johnson Microsoft Word Help 2 August 25th 05 09:29 PM
question donna Microsoft Word Help 1 August 23rd 05 05:31 PM
Word File Open and Save Dialog Boxes Places Bar Customization NDeL Microsoft Word Help 2 March 12th 05 04:27 AM
My Places = my mistake (2003 SP-1) Pilgrim New Users 6 November 30th 04 12:05 PM