Richard

Default Importing fonts

I am trying to import some fonts that I have downloaded from the internet.
When I got to import.. I get an error message
File is currently in use..

The only file that is open is my word doc which is empty..

How do I do this.
Mary Sauer

You don't import fonts you install them... Control panel, fonts folder, file, install
new font, browse to the font.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Richard" wrote in message
I am trying to import some fonts that I have downloaded from the internet.
When I got to import.. I get an error message
File is currently in use..

The only file that is open is my word doc which is empty..

How do I do this.

Richard

Hi Mary, thank you for your response.... you are correct.... I was wrong.. I
am trying to install, and when I do I get the error... I am trying to help
someone else and they gave me the wrong wording.
What file would be in use when trying to install?

"Richard" wrote in message
I am trying to import some fonts that I have downloaded from the internet.
When I got to import.. I get an error message
File is currently in use..

The only file that is open is my word doc which is empty..

How do I do this.

Mike Hyndman

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 04:34:01 -0700, "Richard"
wrote:

Hi Mary, thank you for your response.... you are correct.... I was wrong.. I
am trying to install, and when I do I get the error... I am trying to help
someone else and they gave me the wrong wording.
What file would be in use when trying to install?

FWIT The only error message I've ever seen when trying to install a font
is that "this font already exists, delete to install new" or something
similar.
MH
remove -bats- to reply
Tom Ferguson

Windows will not replace system files that are loaded (in use) by the
system. That includes font files. For example, Tahoma and Marlett are
both in use by Word as soon as it opens. Also, the windows core fonts are
considered in use even if the use is not obvious to the user. Core fonts
are Times New Roman, Arial, Courier New. When Word is open, any fonts
that are named in the style sheet are also "in use".

To replace an of these "in use" fonts, either you have to get the font
package with the Windows installer included in it or quit windows and
install using DOS utilities (if your HDs are FAT or FAT32 formatted) or
the repair console (or similar) if NTFS formatted.

If you let us know more details about your system and the fonts involved,
someone might be able to give you more exact suggestions/instructions.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

:
: The only file that is open is my word doc which is empty..
:
: How do I do this.

Mary Sauer

What is the error?
Download TweakUI, it has a font folder repair utility. Maybe it is all you need...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/