Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
claire_sellens claire_sellens is offline

Default captions with chapter headings - resets with each section break

Hi can someone help me with this problem,

I am using Word 2000, and trying to insert figure and table captions with
chapter numbers.
In each document I am using a single chapter number assigned to Heading 9. I
can get the chapter number to insert correctly for each caption, but the
sequencing is not working.
Every time I have a next page section break, the sequencing resets to 1. ie
I have caption 2.1, 2.2, section break next page, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and so on.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Clai

I don't understand why you would use Heading 9 for the beginning of Chapter.
The mechanism should work without any input on your part of you use Heading
1 or Heading 2 for the Chapter number.

Heading 1 through 9 are a structured "series" of nine levels from 1 to 9.

Whichever style you use, you have to announce the fact to Word when you use
InsertCaption and select which style you are using to start each chapter.

You need to define the numbering to restart on higher level style. If you
choose the sample that says "Chapter 1, Heading 2, heading 3" etc, it's
predefined to work correctly. If you don't want to use that sample you need
to proceed as described by Shauna:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

The style used for the caption should be "Caption" style.

The section breaks you are inserting have a paragraph style: so they act as
if they were paragraphs. If they have a higher-level style than the one you
are using for chapters, then the number will reset. So any of Headings 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 will reset your Chapter numbers.

Which is why I wouldn't use Heading 9 for the Chapter Starts.

Cheers

On 4/2/07 4:10 PM, in article
, "claire_sellens"
wrote:

Hi can someone help me with this problem,

I am using Word 2000, and trying to insert figure and table captions with
chapter numbers.
In each document I am using a single chapter number assigned to Heading 9. I
can get the chapter number to insert correctly for each caption, but the
sequencing is not working.
Every time I have a next page section break, the sequencing resets to 1. ie
I have caption 2.1, 2.2, section break next page, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and so on.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you using Headings 1--8 before applying a Heading 9? If not, that
could explain the problems you are seeing. The reason is that Word
requires that you apply headings so that the hierarchy is preserved.

In other words, if you apply Heading 9, Headings 1--8 is assumed to
present. This, obviously, affects the heading numbering, but it also
(indirectly) affects Word captions, inserted via the Caption dialog
box.

If you are trying to create a separate set of captions for an
appendix, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ppendixes.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"claire_sellens" wrote in message
Hi can someone help me with this problem,

I am using Word 2000, and trying to insert figure and table captions

with
chapter numbers.
In each document I am using a single chapter number assigned to

Heading 9. I
can get the chapter number to insert correctly for each caption, but

the
sequencing is not working.
Every time I have a next page section break, the sequencing resets

to 1. ie
I have caption 2.1, 2.2, section break next page, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and

so on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
claire_sellens claire_sellens is offline

Default captions with chapter headings - resets with each section brea

Hi John
I switched back to using heading 1 style and it now works fine. It wasn't
clear in the wod help section that you needed to use the higher level
headings. The shaunakelly notes were really helpful.
Thankyou

wrote:

Hi can someone help me with this problem,

I am using Word 2000, and trying to insert figure and table captions with
chapter numbers.
In each document I am using a single chapter number assigned to Heading 9. I
can get the chapter number to insert correctly for each caption, but the
sequencing is not working.
Every time I have a next page section break, the sequencing resets to 1. ie
I have caption 2.1, 2.2, section break next page, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and so on.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hi Clai

You're welcome. {Sigh} I have been trying to get that Help topic improved
for about five years...

Cheers

On 8/2/07 8:19 AM, in article
, "claire_sellens"