Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janice

Default FilePrint macro didn't work after all...

Regarding my posted question of 3/15/06 and following (Creating non-printing
pages in a Word document?): I emailed the document in question back to its
author, with the FilePrint macro neatly embedded, on Friday afternoon.
Unfortunately, Monday when I came in, I had an email from her stating that
when she tried to print, her system returned a message the macro was disabled
and the doc wouldn't print at all... 2 questions: (1)what could be the
reason (and the fix?), and (2)is this something that is likely to affect the
hundreds of people in 90+ remote locations who will be printing the doc from
the company intranet? All help appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

IIRC this was my 'solution'. Unfortunately it is a macro-based solution and
requires macros to be enabled, There is no real easy way round this - if
your users have security set to High you can't use this solution. You could
digitally sign the code but they would still need to accept the
certificate - I'm afraid I'm not well up on this, perhaps someone else can
tell you more.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"janice" wrote in message
Regarding my posted question of 3/15/06 and following (Creating

non-printing
pages in a Word document?): I emailed the document in question back to its
author, with the FilePrint macro neatly embedded, on Friday afternoon.
Unfortunately, Monday when I came in, I had an email from her stating that
when she tried to print, her system returned a message the macro was

disabled
and the doc wouldn't print at all... 2 questions: (1)what could be the
reason (and the fix?), and (2)is this something that is likely to affect

the
hundreds of people in 90+ remote locations who will be printing the doc

from
the company intranet? All help appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Tony says, it makes a lot more sense to have Macro Security
set at Medium, which gives users a choice of enabling or disabling macros.
Of course, if the user chooses to disable the macro, you're still in the
soup. The alternative is to save the document as a template and install it
in the user templates or workgroup templates folder. Provided users have
"Trust all installed templates and add-ins" checked (as it should be) on the
Trusted Sources tab of Tools | Macro | Security, then macros in templates
(as well as add-ins in Word's Startup folder) are automatically trusted.

"janice" wrote in message
Regarding my posted question of 3/15/06 and following (Creating

non-printing
pages in a Word document?): I emailed the document in question back to

its
author, with the FilePrint macro neatly embedded, on Friday afternoon.
Unfortunately, Monday when I came in, I had an email from her stating

that
when she tried to print, her system returned a message the macro was

disabled
and the doc wouldn't print at all... 2 questions: (1)what could be the
reason (and the fix?), and (2)is this something that is likely to affect

the
hundreds of people in 90+ remote locations who will be printing the doc

from
the company intranet? All help appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janice

Thank you both, and my apologies for not getting back to this sooner - have
been tied up on another matter.

I would like to try your solution, Susan, but need to show my ignorance once
again... I know (I think I know...) how to save a document as a template on
my own system, but how to "install it in the user templates or workgroup
templates folder"?

Thanks,

"janice" wrote in message
Regarding my posted question of 3/15/06 and following (Creating

non-printing
pages in a Word document?): I emailed the document in question back to

its
author, with the FilePrint macro neatly embedded, on Friday afternoon.
Unfortunately, Monday when I came in, I had an email from her stating

that
when she tried to print, her system returned a message the macro was

disabled
and the doc wouldn't print at all... 2 questions: (1)what could be the
reason (and the fix?), and (2)is this something that is likely to affect

the
hundreds of people in 90+ remote locations who will be printing the doc

from
the company intranet? All help appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janice

okee-dokee, John...

I opened the doc per your instructions, saved it as a template, tried to
print, and of course the macro, which shows in the macro dialog box, was
disabled. My security setting is high, and the "trust all installed
templates and add-ins" box is checked.
What's next?

Please know, in responding, that only a simple "non-invasive" procedure will
work for the author of the document, as well as for the rank and file who'll
be printing it, no matter what I can do on my own system...

Thank you so much... (and my apologies to you, Suzanne, for getting your
name wrong!)

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Hi Janice:

Use FileOpen to "Open" the whatever it is... Do NOT double-click it :-)
You MUST use FileOpen from within Word for this operation.

Now, use FileSave As... If the file you have open is a template, Word will
immediately switch the save location to your User Templates folder. If the
thing you have open is "not" a template, the save location will not change.
An easy way to check is that amongst the files in the location Word switches
to will be "Normal" (which will appear as "Normal.dot" if you have your file
extensions visible, as you should have).

So: If you can't see a file named Normal in there, what you have open is
not a template (regardless of what the extension says: the extension can be
a lie...)

You can then change the "Save as type" box to "Document Template". If you
do, Word will switch locations on you. THEN you will see the Normal.dot
template suddenly appear. Go ahead and save your file now.

Regrettably, if it "wasn't" a template, it may not contain the macro code
you hoped for, in which case, it may still not work. But that's the next
problem: do this, and then let us know if it's working. If not, we'll tell
you what to do next.

Cheers

On 28/3/06 8:21 AM, in article
, "janice"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To add to what Tony says, it makes a lot more sense to have Macro Security
set at Medium, which gives users a choice of enabling or disabling macros.
Of course, if the user chooses to disable the macro, you're still in the
soup. The alternative is to save the document as a template and install it
in the user templates or workgroup templates folder. Provided users have
"Trust all installed templates and add-ins" checked (as it should be) on the
Trusted Sources tab of Tools | Macro | Security, then macros in templates
(as well as add-ins in Word's Startup folder) are automatically trusted.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

"janice" wrote in message
Regarding my posted question of 3/15/06 and following (Creating
non-printing
pages in a Word document?): I emailed the document in question back to
its
author, with the FilePrint macro neatly embedded, on Friday afternoon.
Unfortunately, Monday when I came in, I had an email from her stating
that
when she tried to print, her system returned a message the macro was
disabled
and the doc wouldn't print at all... 2 questions: (1)what could be the
reason (and the fix?), and (2)is this something that is likely to affect
the
hundreds of people in 90+ remote locations who will be printing the doc
from
the company intranet? All help appreciated!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just to be sure, check the File Locations tab of Tools | Options and make
sure that the folder where you saved the template is the same one given for
"User templates."

"janice" wrote in message
okee-dokee, John...

I opened the doc per your instructions, saved it as a template, tried to
print, and of course the macro, which shows in the macro dialog box, was
disabled. My security setting is high, and the "trust all installed
templates and add-ins" box is checked.
What's next?

Please know, in responding, that only a simple "non-invasive" procedure

will
work for the author of the document, as well as for the rank and file

who'll
be printing it, no matter what I can do on my own system...

Thank you so much... (and my apologies to you, Suzanne, for getting your
name wrong!)

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Hi Janice:

Use FileOpen to "Open" the whatever it is... Do NOT double-click it

:-)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"janice" wrote in message
[...]

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not

email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janice

When I went back to the doc to check, I couldn't tell from what I saw in the
Tools-Options-File locations tab, and the doc wouldn't print - macros
disabled. However, I then opened the template (.dot) from the task pane, and
it printed only page 2 as I desired. Saved it again as a document, and again
the print dialog indicated page two only. So now, if I send it to the author
(the new doc, not the template) it should act the same? - If I understand,
since the macro is in the template, it need not be enabled directly by each
user? And it should perform the same way for all end users via the intranet?
(Sorry to be such a nut, but I'd like to be pretty sure so I don't go back to
her with yet another solution that only works on my system...)

"janice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Before you go any further can I try to clarify a little?

Firstly, I am assuming you don't want to get involved in digitally signing
your code - partly, at least, because it involves action on the part of your
users to accept the signature.

Now, from what I understand (and I have gone back to your original
thread) ---

- you have a single document
- it doesn't have a distinct template
- it is on an intranet location
- you want only page 2 to print
- you have a macro in the document to make this happen
- the macro doesn't run because users have (default) high security
settings

To allow the macro to run for users with default security settings
(including High security and "Trust all installed AddIns and Templates") you
can put the document in a trusted location.

The default trusted location is the User Templates folder ("(documents and
settings\userid)\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates"). To change it, or
add another one, is what you describe as "invasive" (requires user action)
so your only option is to put your code in this folder.

With all due respect to John, I think the template is a red herring. You can
put a document in a trusted location (including a 'templates' folder).

The user templates folder is not shared so each user will need a copy of the
document. This seems to me to conflict with the document being on your
intranet.

Over to you ...

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"janice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janice

Most of your assumptions are correct. In fact I now have (1) the original
doc with the macro, (2) the doc saved as a template, and (3) the template
saved as a new doc. All are on my personal hard drive at the moment, none are
yet posted on the intranet, but that is the goal.

From what you say, I gather that in order for the macro to work for end
users, the doc or the template must reside in a "trusted location" (Templates
folder) on each user's system? There is no "trusted location" folder within
the structure of the intranet, and without that, specific action (enabling
macros or accepting signatures) will be required on each user's part? Do I
understand?

Thanks for your patience - if nothing else, I'm getting the beginnings of an
eductaion!

"janice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Hi Janice,

It is possible to have a trusted shared 'workgroup templates' folder -
although I don't know whether it can be an intranet location - but each user
must have their individual Word setup changed to point to it so it's no
easier than any of the other solutions.

I don't know what your setup is and the only way round this basic problem I
can think of is to use Policies but I don't have much knowledge of them.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"janice" wrote in message
Most of your assumptions are correct. In fact I now have (1) the original
doc with the macro, (2) the doc saved as a template, and (3) the template
saved as a new doc. All are on my personal hard drive at the moment, none

are
yet posted on the intranet, but that is the goal.

From what you say, I gather that in order for the macro to work for end

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"janice" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janice

Well, then, it seems I am at an impasse. At the very least, it has been
interesting!
Thank you all so much for all of your help.

"janice" wrote in message
Most of your assumptions are correct. In fact I now have (1) the original
doc with the macro, (2) the doc saved as a template, and (3) the template
saved as a new doc. All are on my personal hard drive at the moment, none

are
yet posted on the intranet, but that is the goal.

From what you say, I gather that in order for the macro to work for end