jdulle1

Default Please make "normal" the default view in MS Word. Thank you.

It would be much less trouble to select the "read" view the few times it is
needed. Office professionals are accustomed to seeing the text as it will
print. People who use Word often, do not want to take time to select
"normal" for each file.
Jay Freedman

jdulle1 wrote:
It would be much less trouble to select the "read" view the few times
it is needed. Office professionals are accustomed to seeing the text
as it will print. People who use Word often, do not want to take
time to select "normal" for each file.

In Tools Options General, uncheck "Allow starting in Reading Layout".
Then documents will open in the same view as when they were last saved --
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm for details.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

eeg0323

I could not agree more. I keep unchecking the option under Tools Options,
but it keeps getting reset. Very frustrating as I feel the reading layout is
as close to worthless as it can be

"jdulle1" wrote:

It would be much less trouble to select the "read" view the few times it is
needed. Office professionals are accustomed to seeing the text as it will
print. People who use Word often, do not want to take time to select
"normal" for each file.

Jay Freedman

As I said in the parallel thread, there's something damaged in your
installation. Word doesn't normally behave like that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"jdulle1" wrote:

It would be much less trouble to select the "read" view the few
times it is needed. Office professionals are accustomed to seeing
the text as it will print. People who use Word often, do not want
to take time to select "normal" for each file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jack

I've seen a number of posts on the Reading Layout. I'll be the dissenting
viewpoint because I really like it. It does what it is supposed to, which is
make documents easier to read on the screen.

The quick way out of Reading View is to press the Esc key. This will
return you to your default Word view. (It always takes me to Page Layout.)

When I've had trouble with Reading View is when the author of the document
has tried complicated formatting without some of the formmating tools, like
Styles. My recommendation to my co=workers and others is to proofread their
documents in the Reading View prior to electronic distribution. If your
intent is for hardcopy distribution, then you don't have to worry about it.
For electronic distribution, a well formatted document can look great in the
Reading View as well as the Page Layout view.
--
Jack Rumple

"jdulle1" wrote:

It would be much less trouble to select the "read" view the few times it is
needed. Office professionals are accustomed to seeing the text as it will
print. People who use Word often, do not want to take time to select
"normal" for each file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
hpmtgrl

There must be a lot of faulty installations then because I've found this
happening on many different systems... although I have to admit that in
several cases I believe this had more to do with network settings than Word
itself.

On a side note I can see how the Read view would be useful in specific
situations but to make it the default... unless it was done on purpose to
give people a heads up on the new feature ... which really should have
been done with a simple 'first time use' suggestion instead. In most
situations I've come across the Read view is more a hindrance instead of a
help. In the end the Read view is just a add on for those special situations
that a small subset of users would like and not something that is really very
useful... even if you review and edit a lot of documents and yes I do. I've
found the chief complaint (like jdulle1 and eeg0323) is in regards to the
inaccuracies with printing. I've use the Read view for some time now and
really don't see that much of an improvement using it. I would rather have
the development time spent making formatting easier and more logical from a
'users perspective' and not some obscure development view point. Word still
does a lot of things it 'automatically' does to help users that in my
experience the users would rather not have and so they come to me to have
these disabled or for work-arounds. All in all... Word still seems to be
lagging behind in relation to the other apps...