Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
B. Levien

Default Memo Template and Printer Tray Assignment

I work in a law firm, and we have several templates, which are accessed and
used by everyone. The Memo template should print out of Tray 3 (bond). We
have approximately 13 different printer models in the office (for example HP
C3952A, HP LaserJet 4350, HP LaserJet 4050, HP LaserJet 4300, etc.).

Some printers will print out of tray 3, some printers print out of Tray 2
(which is our letterhead), some printers print out of Manual Feed Tray 1
(which is for labels), and other printers are set to "automatically select".

Can someone please confirm that there is nothing document specific we can
change to force this memo to come out on Tray 3 for everyone, and that it is
printer driver specific.

I would like to know if my understanding of this issue is correct in that if
we all had the same printers (or drivers) the document would print out of
tray 3, but given that we have approximately 13 different printer models, it
will pull out of different trays depending on the printer model/driver.

If this is correct, is there an easy "work-a-around" for this?

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

As long as you use a variety of printers with different tray assignments you
are likely to have problems. An answer may be to provide a printers toolbar
using the method suggested at http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm to
print to individual printers. If all the printers are PCL compatible, you
could use the same HP PCL driver to address them all (give it a unique name
to avoid confusion and set that as default printer). You may lose some of
the facilities on the more powerful printers, but at least they should sing
from the same hymn sheet. You can also setup the printers' correct drivers
should you need to access those extra facilities, then the method suggested
at http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm becomes less unwieldy.

B. Levien wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
B. Levien

Thank you very much. I think for our purposes, the Printer Toolbar is the
best way to go, as it is not feasible to use the same PCL driver (some
printers have to have certain functions, such as duplexing, which would be
lost).

B. Levien wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Not necessarily. Duplicate the drivers to enable you to retain the extra
functions when required.