DSL-Dave

Default Can't change fonts/sizes

I am using Word 97 under Win98se, and I just had a problem where I can no
longer change fonts, font sizes or bold/italic/underline.
I initially received an error message that normal.dot was corrupt, and Word
could not repair it.
I renamed normal.dot to normal-1.dot, but that didn't help.
I tried changing the default font to Tahoma and saving it to the template,
but that didn't work either.
I tried searching for the original normal.dot template on my install disk,
but couldn't find it.
I tried searching the Knowledge Base, but couldn't find a solution there,
either!
Can someone help me restore Word (without having to re-install!)?

Thanks,

--------
Dave

garfield-n-odie

Does the problem persist if you select a different default printer in
Windows? If not, then the problem could be a damaged printer driver for
your normal printer, and you might try deleting and reinstalling the
printer in Start | Control Panel | Printers.

DSL-Dave wrote:

I am using Word 97 under Win98se, and I just had a problem where I can no
longer change fonts, font sizes or bold/italic/underline.
I initially received an error message that normal.dot was corrupt, and Word
could not repair it.
I renamed normal.dot to normal-1.dot, but that didn't help.
I tried changing the default font to Tahoma and saving it to the template,
but that didn't work either.
I tried searching for the original normal.dot template on my install disk,
but couldn't find it.
I tried searching the Knowledge Base, but couldn't find a solution there,
either!
Can someone help me restore Word (without having to re-install!)?

Thanks,

--------
Dave

TF

Rename normal-1.dot to normal.bad or normal.old. It is the .dot extension
that you need to remove to stop Word from seeing the template.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
:I am using Word 97 under Win98se, and I just had a problem where I can no
: longer change fonts, font sizes or bold/italic/underline.
: I initially received an error message that normal.dot was corrupt, and
Word
: could not repair it.
: I renamed normal.dot to normal-1.dot, but that didn't help.
: I tried changing the default font to Tahoma and saving it to the template,
: but that didn't work either.
: I tried searching for the original normal.dot template on my install disk,
: but couldn't find it.
: I tried searching the Knowledge Base, but couldn't find a solution there,
: either!
: Can someone help me restore Word (without having to re-install!)?
:
: Thanks,
:
: --------
: Dave
:
:

DSL-Dave

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to all, but no luck so far!
I renamed the template to normal.bad and Word created a new normal.dot, but
still the same problem.
Here are a few new clues:
The printer driver works fine and as a matter of fact, the printout DOES
show changes in font size, style, etc.
WordPad works correctly.
It appears to only be the DISPLAY of the text in Word that has been munged.
All other text displays correctly, elsewhere.
Could it be a display driver that is only used in Word that got trashed???

At least I know I can do printouts correctly, for now!

Dave

I think you may have missed my answer, so I'll suggest again the possibility
that you're working in Normal view with draft font selected (Tools | Options

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

TF

You must have draft fonts enabled using Normal View?

Terry

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: Rename normal-1.dot to normal.bad or normal.old. It is the .dot
extension
: that you need to remove to stop Word from seeing the template.
:
: --
: Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: http://word.mvps.org/
:
: "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: :
: : Thanks,
: :
: : --------
: : Dave
: :
: :
:
:
: Thanks to all, but no luck so far!
: I renamed the template to normal.bad and Word created a new normal.dot,
but
: still the same problem.
: Here are a few new clues:
: The printer driver works fine and as a matter of fact, the printout DOES
: show changes in font size, style, etc.
: WordPad works correctly.
: It appears to only be the DISPLAY of the text in Word that has been
munged.
: All other text displays correctly, elsewhere.
: Could it be a display driver that is only used in Word that got trashed???
:
: At least I know I can do printouts correctly, for now!
:
: Dave
:
:

TF

Suzanne

No. Strangely, it wasn't there when I synchronised this morning, but it was
when I next synchronised after running through and replying to (very) few
messages. However, I can see exactly why you may think so!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: Are my posts in this thread invisible?
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
so
: all may benefit.
:
: "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: ...
: You must have draft fonts enabled using Normal View?
:
: Terry
:
: "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: : ...
: : Rename normal-1.dot to normal.bad or normal.old. It is the .dot
: extension
: : that you need to remove to stop Word from seeing the template.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]
: : :
: : : Thanks,
: : :
: : : --------
: : : Dave
: : :
: : :
: :
: :
[...]

DSL-Dave

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, I had missed your answer, and have been distracted by some nasty
spyware.
You are absolutely correct! The strange thing is that I NEVER changed that
option!
It is possible that this weird spyware (STARTIUM) may have caused it, as I
saw some other strange things happening, as well.

I deselected the draft font checkbox and all is well again.

Many thanks to all who responded.

------
Dave

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think you may have missed my answer, so I'll suggest again the

possibility
that you're working in Normal view with draft font selected (Tools |

| View).

so
all may benefit.

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Word does occasionally change some settings behind your back (seemingly to
keep you on your toes), but I've not ever heard of that being one of them,
and most of the mysterious changes are usually wrought by poorly written
add-ins. The only Options change that I know for sure Word will make on its
own is turning on "Picture placeholders" when the graphics load becomes
unbearable. And of course if you have "Background repagination" disabled in
Normal view, it will be reenabled when you switch to Print Layout view.

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

: "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
: : ...
: : Rename normal-1.dot to normal.bad or normal.old. It is the

..dot
: extension
: : that you need to remove to stop Word from seeing the template.
: :
: : --
: : Terry Farrell - Word MVP
: : http://word.mvps.org/
: :
: : "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

DSL-Dave

Hi Suzanne,

Yes, and I seem to notice that Word has a mind of its own when starting, as
it (sometimes) comes up in outline view, even though I last closed it in
Normal view!

______
Dave

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

: "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: ...
: :
[...]

Word 2002 was slipshod about saving user settings, and Word 2003 seems to be
even worse. I put this down to the SDI introduced in Word 2000. I frequently
find that a document will open at the Zoom of the document I have just
closed, as if it were inheriting the settings from the window itself. In
Word 2002, I had the devil of a time getting Word to remember that I wanted
to open certain documents at 105% Zoom. Word 2003 usually gets that right,
but when I start Word (which is supposed to be in Normal view, 100% Zoom,
with the ruler displayed), it frequently opens in Print Layout view and/or
without the ruler and/or at 105% Zoom. sigh

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

: "DSL-Dave" wrote in message
: ...
: :
[...]

Clara

This is some of my problem, too! One day the pc was fine ... the next day
when booting up, the fonts were all different in a small italic font. The
desktop and everywhere were affected ... the boxes in front of all things
that you click on are gone (in email and everywhere) ; the click buttons for
'close', 'maximize', and 'minimize' in the upper right hand corner have 'p',
'2'or '1', and '0' respectively on the top of these buttons; and down on any
page that has blocks that contain choices, the number '6' is sitting on the
right hand corner of the tool bars!
First, somewhere I set something at 'large'. It said I had a handicap, but
at least I could read the text. Another day, I somehow by accident changed
the size of the icons in the bottom toolbar tray ... the fonts are humongous!
Today, I figured I had to remove Microsoft Works Suite 2001 (Microsoft Works
6.0 and Microsoft Word 2000 SR-1) and re-install it. Well, I still got the
same mess. Someone told me to reset my display settings to 800x480.
Unfortunately, it was already set at those pixels.
Now, if anyone knows what my problem is (besides having several screws
loose), you have to guide me step by step in very basic terms. I have no idea
about a nat-ural view and a draft font, but I sure would like to see my ole
computer back to looking normal again. I have Windows Me with Word 2000.
--
cms

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
I am using Word 97 under Win98se, and I just had a problem where I can no
longer change fonts, font sizes or bold/italic/underline.
I initially received an error message that normal.dot was corrupt, and

Word
could not repair it.
I renamed normal.dot to normal-1.dot, but that didn't help.
I tried changing the default font to Tahoma and saving it to the template,
but that didn't work either.
I tried searching for the original normal.dot template on my install disk,
but couldn't find it.
I tried searching the Knowledge Base, but couldn't find a solution there,
either!
Can someone help me restore Word (without having to re-install!)?

Thanks,

--------
Dave

Graham Mayor

It sounds as though you have deleted (or corrupted a Wndows system font).
Right click the desktop and check properties appearance and/or themes and
see what you have configured there. This is, however, a Windows issue and
not a Word issue. You need to explore this further in a Windows group.

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
I am using Word 97 under Win98se, and I just had a problem where I
can no longer change fonts, font sizes or bold/italic/underline.
I initially received an error message that normal.dot was corrupt,
and Word could not repair it.
I renamed normal.dot to normal-1.dot, but that didn't help.
I tried changing the default font to Tahoma and saving it to the
template, but that didn't work either.
I tried searching for the original normal.dot template on my
install disk, but couldn't find it.
I tried searching the Knowledge Base, but couldn't find a solution
there, either!
Can someone help me restore Word (without having to re-install!)?

Thanks,

--------
Dave

I would guess that your Marlett font is either missing or damaged. Try
reinstalling from the Windows CD.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Make sure you're not using "Draft font" in Normal view.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"DSL-Dave" wrote in message
[...]

TF

Run Windows Setup and select REPAIR.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

: "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
:
: Make sure you're not using "Draft font" in Normal view.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: ...