Brian

Default Font size problem

I have a Word 2000 document with 2 sections. The footer in section 2 is not
the same as in section 1. In the centre of the footer is "Page x of y".

"x" is the number of the page in that section, done as a Field:
Insert|Field|Numbering|Page.

"y" is the number of pages in section 2, also done as a Field:
Insert|Field|Numbering|SectionPages.

I have done the whole footer in point size 10, but the second field keeps
jumping by itself to point size 12. If I right click on the field, select
font, then 10, then OK, the figures go to the correct size, but as soon as I
put the cursor elsewhere in the footer, or close the footer editor, it jumps
back to size 12.

I'm baffled....

TF

Brian

It seems that you have set your document in File, Page Setup to use a
different First Page: that explains why they are behaving differently.

I'd suggest that you insert the Footer using the autoText Page x of y: it
may be the same as manually inserting the fields, but Autotext is neat!

A possibility for the font change is that Headers and Footers are Styles.
Instead of applying direct formatting, with the cursor in the Footer, go to
Format, Style, select Footer and change the font. Make sure to check the
Save to Template check box or this will not be retained. Also make sure that
Automatically Update is CLEAR and not checked.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: "x" is the number of the page in that section, done as a Field:
: Insert|Field|Numbering|Page.
:
: "y" is the number of pages in section 2, also done as a Field:
: Insert|Field|Numbering|SectionPages.
:
: I have done the whole footer in point size 10, but the second field keeps
: jumping by itself to point size 12. If I right click on the field, select
: font, then 10, then OK, the figures go to the correct size, but as soon as
: put the cursor elsewhere in the footer, or close the footer editor, it
jumps
: back to size 12.
:
: I'm baffled....
:
:
:

Brian

Terry,

There is no different first page set.

There seems to be a bug in Autotext Page x of y. x gives me the page number
within that section, and y is the total of pages in the whole document,
which is not what I want.

I altered the style as you said, and STILL the sectionpages number jumps
back to 12 point!

Brian

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Graham Mayor

The standard 'page x of y' in Autotext produces

Page { PAGE } of { NUMPAGES }

If you want something different, it is easy enough to change by editing the
autotext eg to or save it as an additional entry.

Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }

If you want to reinforce the font size as entered, use charformat switches
on the fields eg

Page { PAGE \*CHARFORMAT} of { SECTIONPAGES \*CHARFORMAT}

You will have to enter these fields manually (CTRL+F9 for the field
boundaries) before saving as autotext. And make sure you create this in the
header/footer if you want it to appear in the autotext tool on the header
toolbar.