Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChrisT ChrisT is offline

Default Font Names Don't Appear Correctly In Office

I have installed some new japanese fonts, but the names don't appear like
they should when I try and select one of them. All the other font names (like
Comic Sans and Times New Roman) are fine, but the japanese font names appear
like dots. (.........) Can I change the name of the font somewhere so I can
tell what type of font it is?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I don't know anything about Japanese font names but if they are in Japanese
maybe your system is not fully enabled to show them. What language version
is your Word? Do you see anything in Japanese in the Word UI (as distinct
from the document)?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"ChrisT" wrote in message
I have installed some new japanese fonts, but the names don't appear like
they should when I try and select one of them. All the other font names

(like
Comic Sans and Times New Roman) are fine, but the japanese font names

appear
like dots. (.........) Can I change the name of the font somewhere so I

can
tell what type of font it is?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChrisT ChrisT is offline

The lanaguage version of Office XP is English, but I've installed the
Japanese Language Pack (IME) and the font pack from the Microsoft website,
both which were recommended for the Office XP package. All the Japanese tools
from this download are in the Language bar, and when I type in a Japanese
font it's in Japanese, except the font name is just a load of dots. The
actual name of the fonts are English, but I've just realised that maybe
because it's an English name and the name of the font is displayed in the
drop-down font box as the font in question (e.g. 'Ariel' in the font drop
down box says "Ariel" in the 'Ariel' font), that maybe there is a conflict
because there is no Japanese equivilant for the English name? Could I change
this so that I could enter a few Japanese characters as the font name so then
at least I can see what the font looks like when I browse through the fonts?
It's just an idea and wouldn't know how to go about it, any ideas?

Thanks for your reply.

"ChrisT" wrote in message
I have installed some new japanese fonts, but the names don't appear like
they should when I try and select one of them. All the other font names

(like
Comic Sans and Times New Roman) are fine, but the japanese font names

appear
like dots. (.........) Can I change the name of the font somewhere so I

can
tell what type of font it is?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid this is all guesswork on my part but, if I understand correctly,
the language pack and the IME affect what you type in the application
workspace (i.e. the document) while the language version of Office affects
the language of the interface (the menus etc.).

The font dropdown should, as you say, display the font name in the font
itself, so you could be right that it doesn't have the capacity to display
the English characters. I don't think you can (easily) change the name of
the font and don't know what else you can do. If you enter the first few
characters of the (English) font name does the dropdown pick it up? If you
go to Format Font does the preview window show the font correctly?

Sorry, although interested, I can't offer much more help.It might be worth
asking in the word.international.features newsgroup.

--
Enjoy,
Tony