Gary Wooding

Default Displaying and hiding text

Each month I produce a document that needs to be sent to two separate
groups of recipients. Group A needs client names to be visible, but
group B mustn't see them. Currently I produce just one document with
the names replaced by an index into another file, and group B never get
the file, but this has become a problem when group A discusses the
document at monthly meetings - they want the names to be in the
document.
Is there a simple way of doing this in Word 2000?

On a mainframe using DCF it would be very simple indeed, and I've tried
using field codes in a futile attempt to mimic what I'd do in DCF.
For example...

{ASK Target "Enter GRPA or GRPB" \*MERGEFORMAT \d "GRPA"}
{IF Target = "GRPA" "Fred Bloggs" "" \*MERGEFORMAT }
{IF Target = "GRPA" "Mary Flood" "" \*MERGEFORMAT }

But its just not working - I clearly don't really understand them and I
can't find a decent reference source with examples.

Can anyone help please?

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
Anne Troy

It would help to know what you're delivering: Hard copy? Electronic?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gary Wooding" wrote in message
Each month I produce a document that needs to be sent to two separate
groups of recipients. Group A needs client names to be visible, but
group B mustn't see them. Currently I produce just one document with
the names replaced by an index into another file, and group B never get
the file, but this has become a problem when group A discusses the
document at monthly meetings - they want the names to be in the
document.
Is there a simple way of doing this in Word 2000?

On a mainframe using DCF it would be very simple indeed, and I've tried
using field codes in a futile attempt to mimic what I'd do in DCF.
For example...

{ASK Target "Enter GRPA or GRPB" \*MERGEFORMAT \d "GRPA"}
..
{IF Target = "GRPA" "Fred Bloggs" "" \*MERGEFORMAT }
..
{IF Target = "GRPA" "Mary Flood" "" \*MERGEFORMAT }
..

But its just not working - I clearly don't really understand them and I
can't find a decent reference source with examples.

Can anyone help please?

--

Regards, Gary Wooding

Tony Jollans

What you are trying does work. However when I cut and pasted it, I found an
extra space after GRPA in the ASK default - if that isn't just a typo here,
try removing it.

I hope you realise that this technique does not remove the names from the
(soft copy) document - only from hard-copy versions.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

[...]

Gary Wooding

Tony Jollans wrote:
What you are trying does work. However when I cut and pasted it, I found an
extra space after GRPA in the ASK default - if that isn't just a typo here,
try removing it.

I tried copying exactly from my Word doc and cannot see the extra space
in this line....
{ASK Target "Enter GRPA or GRPB" \*MERGEFORMAT \d "GRPA"}

I hope you realise that this technique does not remove the names from the
(soft copy) document - only from hard-copy versions.

It is for hard copy only.
I'm obviously missing something because it simply doesn't work for me.
Here's what I've done...
I open a new document in Word and insert the three lines I put in my
first post. With VFC (view field codes) on I see the three lines, if I
turn VFC off I see nothing at all - the display shows an empty document.
If I close the document and re-open it I see the same blank document -
I'm never asked to enter GRPA or GRPB. If I turn VFC on I see the same
three lines as before.
I just don't see how to make the ASK code actually work and ask for
input. In other words, how do I invoke the code that I've written?

For example...

{ASK Target "Enter GRPA or GRPB" \*MERGEFORMAT \d "GRPA"}
{IF Target = "GRPA" "Fred Bloggs" "" \*MERGEFORMAT }
{IF Target = "GRPA" "Mary Flood" "" \*MERGEFORMAT }
..

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
Tony Jollans

Sorry- looks like I messed up with my copy and paste. The good news is that
it now works (and probably always did) without changes.

It seems I didn't read your whole post properly - my apologies

ASK fields prompt when they are 'updated'. If you check "Update Fields"
under "Printing Options" on the Tools Options Print tab then you will be
ASKed when you print the document.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Tony Jollans wrote:
[...]

Gary Wooding

Tony Jollans wrote:

ASK fields prompt when they are 'updated'. If you check "Update Fields"
under "Printing Options" on the Tools Options Print tab then you will be
ASKed when you print the document.

Thanks Tony, that did it. I knew I was missing a very basic and
important bit, but just couldn't find it.
It works perfectly now.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding