Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KSun11 KSun11 is offline

Default Metadata

How do I get a complete list of the metadata fields that is possible for MS
word to keep track of?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

KSun11 wrote:
How do I get a complete list of the metadata fields that is possible for MS
word to keep track of?

meaning?

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since 'metadata' can mean different things depending on context, and
not counting issues with SharePoint or Duet or other collborative Office products, if you're referring to personal data, not
contained in the body of document text, then these links may be helpful.

Word 2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/he...375931033.aspx
Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825576/en-us?FR=1
Earlier versions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223396/en-us?FR=1
==========
"KSun11" wrote in message ...
How do I get a complete list of the metadata fields that is possible for MS
word to keep track of?
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KSun11 KSun11 is offline

Hi Robert and Bob,
I appreciate you both taking the time to read my question and trying to help.
Meaning?,
I found many lists such as the following (see below) which give examples of
metadata found in word documents, but I can't find a complete list. A
complete list of information, would include those fields listed below and any
other ms word information, both easy and hard to delete, that word may pass
along with the document. I know there are ways to get rid of it, but right
now, I just need to find all the fields of data that word may store as a
metadata. Hope this explanation helps.
I have a feeling nobody has put together a complete list, it may be
something I have to create on my own. Just hoping sombody already knows. Once
again Many thanks for your Help

"The following are some examples of metadata that may be stored in your
documents: €¢ Your name
€¢ Your initials
€¢ Your company or organization name
€¢ The name of your computer
€¢ The name of the network server or hard disk where you saved the document
€¢ Other file properties and summary information
€¢ Non-visible portions of embedded OLE objects
€¢ Document revisions
€¢ Document versions
€¢ Template information
€¢ Hidden text
€¢ Comments"

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

KSun11 wrote:
How do I get a complete list of the metadata fields that is possible for MS
word to keep track of?

meaning?

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

KSun11 wrote:
"The following are some examples of metadata that may be stored in your
documents: €¢ Your name
€¢ Your initials
€¢ Your company or organization name
€¢ The name of your computer
€¢ The name of the network server or hard disk where you saved the document
€¢ Other file properties and summary information
€¢ Non-visible portions of embedded OLE objects
€¢ Document revisions
€¢ Document versions
€¢ Template information
€¢ Hidden text
€¢ Comments"

OK, now I can follow you. :-)

Especially with revisions, practically anything that ever was in a
document can still be there even though it's not "visible." [As long as
there are unresolved Tracked Changes.]

FWIW, I doubt there is a more "complete" (and still authoritative) list
anywhere.

0.2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As mentioned before, you haven't defined what you define as Metadata, or even what you think is missing from the attached list.

In the list you provided, available in the prior links, part of what its telling you is that you can embed data/objects/content into
Word via 3rd party apps or files so that Word doesn't see into those sealed 'containers' carried along with Word documents.

If you type your name at the close of a letter you're creating, is the fact that your name is part of the body of the text any
different than having it in the user name field stored as a document property?

There isn't going to be a 'complete' list, as there isn't a single definition of what the data that should be looked at would be.

In Word 2007 you can open up the .docx files and look at all of the content, in prior versions you can save as XML or HTML or RTF
and examine those as well. Binary items (including embedded objects) will be encoded.

"KSun11" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hidden metadata Jason[_4_] Microsoft Word Help 0 February 11th 08 04:44 PM
metadata tampering IPlawyertoo Microsoft Word Help 3 November 10th 06 07:48 AM
Metadata in Word -- how much is there, really? OrphanAnnie Microsoft Word Help 4 May 17th 06 05:38 PM
metadata Heather Microsoft Word Help 1 March 2nd 06 08:28 PM
Explanation of Summary Metadata DHSMan Microsoft Word Help 2 February 1st 06 07:57 PM