Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KevinC2C KevinC2C is offline

Default Making accurate templates with Words

Hi,

I work at a label company and we're trying to make tables in Microsoft
words to match our labels. This is an example of what our label may
look like: onlinelabels.com/Templates/OL5275Word.html

Like onlinelabels, we have labels that come in many different shapes
and sizes , but they also have tables in Words that have already been
designed to fit every label(in this case, the circles), we're trying to
make them as well. We've been trying to achieve what they did but we're
hitting way too many bumps for this to go smoothly.

We've tried hiring a design team to do this(overseas) but graphic
design teams aren't really trained with Words. So now I'm trying to do
it myself, at least until I learn enough to teach others. Here is what
I've been doing:

I design the label layout in Adobe Indesign - to get the exact
measurements down, and then save it as a JPEG. I then paste it onto
Words, set the jpeg to go behind text, scale the jpeg to fit the
page(8.5x11) and then draw tables around the label(s) to match it as
much as I can. The problem is that this worked once with a page with
one big label, it was simple to just make one giant label and that was
that.

The problem occurs when I try to design a table for multiple small
labels like the one linked above on onlinelabels(multiple circles). I
can't draw the tables over the labels in words when I paste it onto the
document so then I can't measure how accurate I am when making these
tables.

Maybe if there was a way I can set the jpeg as a background so it can't
interfere with my work and then I can make tables that way, that would
definitely be simple on my end.

Any other alternatives would definitely be great, like if there was for
some way for MS words to detect boxes/shape and add a text field into
it.

Thanks a lot!

--
KevinC2C
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Insert the jpeg into the header of the document and format it so that it is
behind the text.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"KevinC2C" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You might actually find it easier to use Word's own built-in label editor to
create the tables as you can take a measurement directly from the label
stock and apply it to the editor. It is then but a small step to check that
layout against your graphic and make any minor adjustment to the result.

KevinC2C wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Peter A Peter A is offline

In article , KevinC2C.2277b14
@officefrustration.com says...

[...]

Word is not designed for precise page layouts. You already have Indesign
- use it for the entire process.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KevinC2C[_2_] KevinC2C[_2_] is offline

Peter A;2682836 Wrote:

Word is not designed for precise page layouts. You already have
Indesign
- use it for the entire process.

Then is there a way I can convert it into a word document so customers
can download it and then type whatever they want onto our logos? If
more poeple had Indesign, then this wouldn't be a problem but a
majority of people have and use Words a lot more.

You might actually find it easier to use Word's own built-in label
editor to
create the tables as you can take a measurement directly from the label
stock and apply it to the editor. It is then but a small step to check
that
layout against your graphic and make any minor adjustment to the
result.

I just started using it and it's good so far but when it's going to be
a problem when I encounter labels with different sized labels on the
paper.

--
KevinC2C

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No - In-Design would be fine for producing finished layouts, but has little
relevance to Word label documents.

There is no simple way to do this, though using the built-in label tool is
probably the best compromise as you can transfer the measurements from a
ruler and you can overlay the resulting table on your label stock. The
resulting table can be created as a new document which can be saved as a
template or offered as a document.

If you have different sized labels on the same sheet, then there is no
alternative to building a table with the required cell size - and that would
be fun to use if the labels were required for mail merge