Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pang_hiandry Pang_hiandry is offline

Default linked object w/n same doc not updated correctly (Word '02)

I'm trying to write a grant proposal. I thought I'd save time by linking my
in text references with their respective Figures - so if I had to renumber my
figures, their corresponding in text references would also renumber.

What I did was copy the source, say "Figure 1" from one part of my document
and pasted it in between ( ) in the text - in the same document. The linked
ref updates just fine until I quit the program and reopen the file. At that
point, it does not update properly. If I change the source - "Figure 2" to
"Figure 3"... the text reference looks like "(Figure 2 3)". It just adds the
text.

I was wondering if maybe this is a memory issue (shot in the dark). In my
document I have about 7 sources linked to about 14 in text references. I
removed all linked objects and bookmarks and only set up one linked object.
Then I saved and closed the file. When I reopened it and changed the source,
the linked object updated correctly.

Suggestions? Many thanks for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Cross-references (inserted using Insert | Reference | Cross-reference) do
not update automatically, but they do update when you update fields, either
manually or by printing or switching to Print Preview.

"Pang_hiandry" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pang_hiandry[_2_] Pang_hiandry[_2_] is offline

Thanks!

Can I just override the paste special I did? I tried to do that and it
inserted into my linked text. I just want to make sure I'm not messing
myself up for later.

For all my linked text, I am going to break the link. Then set up a cross
reference to the proper source and then I should be able to change my source
and update each of the cross references manually?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unlinking and replacing sounds like the way to go.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Cross-references (inserted using Insert | Reference | Cross-reference)

do
not update automatically, but they do update when you update fields,

either
manually or by printing or switching to Print Preview.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.