Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mike Parker Mike Parker is offline

Default Make default margins not so big in Word.

I never liked the idea of 3cm margins anyway, but now consider this. If you
make your margins 1.5-2cm instead of the default 3.17, how many trees would
you save? People don't normally mess with page setup and most printers
nowadays can print almost to the edge of the paper, so why not save millions
of sheets of paper and reduce the huge margins. If you release a patch called
an "environmental update", imagine what positive publicity that would bring
to Microsoft?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Get a life! Trees grown for paper production are a renewable resource and
environmentally sound. The more of them grown the more there are to remove
carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Margins are all about presentation and making the document readable. If you
want smaller margins then the tools are there to create them, but don't be
surprised if no-one wants to read your document.

Mike Parker wrote:
I never liked the idea of 3cm margins anyway, but now consider this.
If you make your margins 1.5-2cm instead of the default 3.17, how
many trees would you save? People don't normally mess with page setup
and most printers nowadays can print almost to the edge of the paper,
so why not save millions of sheets of paper and reduce the huge
margins. If you release a patch called an "environmental update",
imagine what positive publicity that would bring to Microsoft?

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft
Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

I total agree with Graham, the smallest margin that I work with is 2.54cm
(1") and that is at a push.
If you do want to save paper, don't bother with small margin, print
double-sided (duplex) that will save much more paper than an extra centimetre
off the margin will ever do.
Beware though, when duplexing you may need a slightly larger space for the
central margins, so you may not want to do that.
DeanH

"Mike Parker" wrote:

I never liked the idea of 3cm margins anyway, but now consider this. If you
make your margins 1.5-2cm instead of the default 3.17, how many trees would
you save? People don't normally mess with page setup and most printers
nowadays can print almost to the edge of the paper, so why not save millions
of sheets of paper and reduce the huge margins. If you release a patch called
an "environmental update", imagine what positive publicity that would bring
to Microsoft?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I agree with both Graham & Dean - reducing margins will do nothing for the
environment but will make your docs less professional.

If concerned about the environment the best solution is to reduce the
verbiage by writing more concisely, thereby conserving *ink/toner* as well
as minimizing the amount of paper involved.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/20/07 8:37 AM, in article
, "DeanH"

"Mike Parker" wrote:

I never liked the idea of 3cm margins anyway, but now consider this. If you
make your margins 1.5-2cm instead of the default 3.17, how many trees would
you save? People don't normally mess with page setup and most printers
nowadays can print almost to the edge of the paper, so why not save millions
of sheets of paper and reduce the huge margins. If you release a patch called
an "environmental update", imagine what positive publicity that would bring
to Microsoft?

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...d=e753691c-8ad
4-48ed-9e4a-48034308e063&dg=microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Not sure which version of Word you are referring to but 1.25" (3.17 cm)
margins are no longer default.

Beth Melton