Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyG714 TonyG714 is offline

Default Changed Default Language - word still uses original for new docum

When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word are
still using the original language - any ideas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Tony

TonyG714 wrote:
When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word are
still using the original language - any ideas

If all else fails, try adjusting the language of the "Normal" style in
your Normal.dot.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?VG9ueUc3MTQ=?=,

When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word are
still using the original language - any ideas

In the Tips section of my website you'll find an article that goes into the
details of how language formatting is managed by Word. In short, for your
particular question: The Windows language takes precedence. You should change
the Windows Input language (Control Panel/Regional settings) to match the
default language you set for Word.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyG714 TonyG714 is offline

Default Changed Default Language - word still uses original for new do

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Tony

TonyG714 wrote:
When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word are
still using the original language - any ideas

If all else fails, try adjusting the language of the "Normal" style in
your Normal.dot.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Thanks Robert
However it doesn't work - if the Normal style is selected then it changes
any marked text to the new language - however new documents all start in the
original language.
There seems to be no way of changing the original settings away from a
target language???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
TonyG714 TonyG714 is offline

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?VG9ueUc3MTQ=?=,

When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word are
still using the original language - any ideas

In the Tips section of my website you'll find an article that goes into the
details of how language formatting is managed by Word. In short, for your
particular question: The Windows language takes precedence. You should change
the Windows Input language (Control Panel/Regional settings) to match the
default language you set for Word.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Hi Cindy.M
Thanks for your suggestion - unfortunately it doesn't work - the langauage
in Regional setting is set to my new target language but word still wants to
be in the original source

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm for instructions
on how to make this work.

"TonyG714" wrote in message
When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word

are
still using the original language - any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?VG9ueUc3MTQ=?=,

When I change the default Language in Office 2003 new documents in word are
still using the original language - any ideas

In the Tips section of my website you'll find an article that goes into the
details of how language formatting is managed by Word. In short, for your
particular question: The Windows language takes precedence. You should change
the Windows Input language (Control Panel/Regional settings) to match the
default language you set for Word.

Thanks for your suggestion - unfortunately it doesn't work - the langauage
in Regional setting is set to my new target language but word still wants to
be in the original source

Perhaps we aren't understanding your question correctly. Did you read the article?
Are you seeing the Windows language when you start a new document? There is no way
to have Word automatically change the language of existing text. In that case, you
must select the text then apply the language over Tools/Language/Set language.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

You obviously have some faith in your method, but it just doesn't work for me.
My regional settings are English New Zealand (with US keyboard), and that
stays the same.
I have set the Normal font in Normal.dotm (Word 2007) to English NZ.
I have done my best to remove all US language from my PC, but when I remove
the US language in the Office Language Settings, and click OK, if I go back
in immediately, there it is back again. I wouldn't mind being forced to have
a forign language in my PC if Office didn't keep adopting it as default.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In the Office Language Settings, set the primary editing language to English
NZ.
In the document language settings (Review Set Language) Uncheck
'Automatically detect'.

Bod wrote:
You obviously have some faith in your method, but it just doesn't
work for me. My regional settings are English New Zealand (with US
keyboard), and that stays the same.
I have set the Normal font in Normal.dotm (Word 2007) to English NZ.
I have done my best to remove all US language from my PC, but when I
remove the US language in the Office Language Settings, and click OK,
if I go back in immediately, there it is back again. I wouldn't mind
being forced to have a forign language in my PC if Office didn't keep
adopting it as default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

Thanks. Unfortunately I had already done these.
In Office Language Settings, set primary editing language to English NZ.
In doc language settings (Review Set Language) Uncheck 'Automatically detect'.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

Thanks, but as I said, My regional settings are English New Zealand (with,
now, US-International keyboard).
Maybe having a US keyboard means it has to stay as an option, but still
doen't explain why it occasionally changes the language to US).
Like embedded fonts, can a document or style somehow be saved as a
particular language, and what other things do?
I want to set the language and have that apply to all styles, documents,
applications.

"Bod" wrote in message
You obviously have some faith in your method, but it just doesn't work for

me.
My regional settings are English New Zealand (with US keyboard), and that
stays the same.
I have set the Normal font in Normal.dotm (Word 2007) to English NZ.
I have done my best to remove all US language from my PC, but when I

remove
the US language in the Office Language Settings, and click OK, if I go

back
in immediately, there it is back again. I wouldn't mind being forced to

have
a forign language in my PC if Office didn't keep adopting it as default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Language is a character format; it can ride in on pasted text. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm for more.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have to change the language in Windows. See
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Bod" wrote in message
You obviously have some faith in your method, but it just doesn't work

for
me.
My regional settings are English New Zealand (with US keyboard), and

that
stays the same.
I have set the Normal font in Normal.dotm (Word 2007) to English NZ.
I have done my best to remove all US language from my PC, but when I

remove
the US language in the Office Language Settings, and click OK, if I go

back
in immediately, there it is back again. I wouldn't mind being forced

have
a forign language in my PC if Office didn't keep adopting it as

default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

Aha! Yes that's it. I think my problem is that all the built-in styles are
still U.S.
Do you know how to change them all to a language of my choice (either NZ or
UK)?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Language is a character format; it can ride in on pasted text. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm for more.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The default language in Word can be changed using Tools | Language | Set
Language, but this won't "take" unless you have also changed the language in
Windows. That information (along with a link to
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm) is in the article
originally referenced, I believe.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Language is a character format; it can ride in on pasted text. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm for more.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

I've gone through ALL the styles, and the only one which mentions language in
its description is Normal, and that's set to English NZ.
The Global Language is also NZ, but there is no NZ keyboard, so I have had
to select a US one - I have selected US International (don't know what diff
from the original default one). Could that keyboard be fooling Word?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The default language in Word can be changed using Tools | Language | Set
Language, but this won't "take" unless you have also changed the language in
Windows. That information (along with a link to
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm) is in the article
originally referenced, I believe.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bod Bod is offline

In my XP Pro, under Regional and Language Options Languages tab
Details... Installed services
English (NZ) is there as an Input language, it's just that there is no NZ
keyboard - only the original "US" or "US (International)" (I have selected
the latter just to make the machine think about what it's doing).

So the Input language should be on my side, but do you know if the "Keyboard
layout" could be messing things up?