Nelson Moffat

Default Template, I think

W2k, Word 2003
I am scanning hundreds of pages of 50 year old meeting minutes, typed
on various typewriters with various typefaces, various numbering
schemes, etc. I am then sollecting an entire year worth of individual
documents and creating a new file for each year.

I would like to have something (I think a Template, but I'm not sure
if that's the best approach) so that it would include, for starters,
margins specific to that type of document, one typeface, uniiform
numbering styles, modified heading styles and a few other styles just
for that group of docs. Is this the sort of thing a template does?

One of the most important things I need is to make the date of each
meeting , located beneath the title for each week's meeting, formatted
with a style so that it is a TOC1 (or Level 1--I'm not sure which is
the most important) and can be used to create a Table of Contents. Can
such a style be a part of this proposed template, and be available in
the Styles and Formatting Task Pane, without having to create it when
I get to each document. This, I believe, involves changing Heading 1
style (which is currently applied to the Title) to some other Heading
style so it won't automatically take precedence over my date style.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

Yes, this is what templates do. You might want to see these articles:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

"Nelson Moffat" wrote in message
[...]

Nelson Moffat

I remain very confused about actually using templates. I have read ,
step by step, McGhie's CreateATemplate, created a new template
starting with Normal.dot but modifying almost everything to which he
referred, and saved it as "XYZ".dot
Now I have a bunch of OCR'd docs in Word, based on the normal.dot, and
about which I've submitted several posts. If I
File/Open(New..)/"XYZ.dot, a blank document based on my new template
(I think) opens. If I then paste a copy of text from one of the OCR'd
docs (based on Normal.dot), I'd expect it to take on the attributes of
the new template, but it doesn't. I must be missing something.
Two questions:
How do I apply a template to an existing document, and
How do I verify what template I am seeing, short of remembering what
font I used in the new template?

Thanks
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:42:39 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Yes, this is what templates do. You might want to see these articles:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

Nelson Moffat

Further, on my post above, I now find that the "XYZ.dot" file was
saved in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates, rather than the location in Tools\Options
which is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates. I didn't direct
it to that file. It was a .dot file and that's where Word decided to
save it.
Now, should I move the new "XYZ.dot" file to where Tools\Options says
it should be, or change the default location for templates to be
saved??

wrote:

Yes, this is what templates do. You might want to see these articles:

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

What do Templates and Add-ins store?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm

The default path for user templates in Word is C:\Documents and
Settings\profile name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. The templates
saved in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates are the installed
templates (those that ship with Word).