Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
theDrew theDrew is offline

Default Page X of Y - X not calculated correctly after section break

Hello all,

In the Appendix section of a document, I need to include a copy of a second
document that has radically different formatting from the master document.
The pages that come AFTER the inserted document should have the same
formatting, header, and footer as the master document.

I inserted a Continuous section break at the end of the master, then a Page
Break, then pasted the contents of the second document, then inserted another
Continuous Section Break, then a Page Break. Pages added after this point
should have the same look and feel of the master document.

The problem is that in the master document, I have a Table of Contents, and
"Page X of Y" displayed in the footer. Both the TOC and the footer calculate
X incorrectly for pages after the inserted document. If I select "Continue
from Previous Section" in the "Page Number Format" window, the page number is
calculated as 9 instead of 54 (the inserted document is 8 pages, and the
total document length including the inserted document is 53 pages). It is
not feasible for me to use the "Start at: " function in the "Page Number
Format" window, because this document is going to grow as others on my team
add to it, and I need to repeat the above paste-other-document-into-appendix
process several more times.

Help? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"theDrew" wrote:

Hello all,

In the Appendix section of a document, I need to include a copy of a second
document that has radically different formatting from the master document.
The pages that come AFTER the inserted document should have the same
formatting, header, and footer as the master document.

I inserted a Continuous section break at the end of the master, then a Page
Break,

Don't do that.
Insert a "Next Page" section break instead. Why two breaks when one can do?

[...]

If I understand correctly, you are, for example, at page 52, then you insert
an 8-page document, whose pages will remained numbered from 1 to 8, and then
you want the page after the iinserted document to continue from 53, as if the
inserted document was not there?

Is that right?

If so, you are going to have to use "Start At."
You could use a calculated formula, but you will need to change the formula
depending on the number of pages you insert.

Using "Start At" is fairly easy, though, why don't you want to use it?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
theDrew theDrew is offline

Hi Jean! Thanks for your response.

Don't do that.
Insert a "Next Page" section break instead. Why two breaks when one can do?

I'm new to using Section Breaks so I'm not 100% clear on what all of them
do. I can try what you suggested.

If I understand correctly, you are, for example, at page 52, then you insert
an 8-page document, whose pages will remained numbered from 1 to 8, and then
you want the page after the iinserted document to continue from 53, as if the
inserted document was not there?

Not quite. Example: my main document, without the appendix, is currently 45
pages, each numbered 1-45. I add in the 8-page document, which is a form
that has its own unique footers and page numbering. I then add a single page
AFTER the inserted document. I want this page to be numbered 54. "Page X of
Y" isn't a necessity in the footer, but it must be numbered correctly in the
Table of Contents.

If so, you are going to have to use "Start At."
You could use a calculated formula, but you will need to change the formula
depending on the number of pages you insert.

Using "Start At" is fairly easy, though, why don't you want to use it?

The reason that I am a bit hesitant is that this document is an operations
manual, and the various sections are to be written by different people. I
don't yet have all of the material for the main body of the document, and I
have no idea how many pages in will ultimately be. Plus the document will be
changed and revised periodically, and the total number of pages will likely
grow or shrink as we release updated versions of it. Thus the "Start At"
numbers may change with each document revision.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
theDrew theDrew is offline

Now that I think of it, is there any way to link a header/footer to a
specific section, rather than to just the previous section?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"theDrew" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"theDrew" wrote:

Now that I think of it, is there any way to link a header/footer to a
specific section, rather than to just the previous section?

Sorry, no.
To help you understand sections, this might be useful:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm