Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ATSFSS2008 ATSFSS2008 is offline

Default Combination chapter number and page number (e.g. 3-18)

Using Word 2004 for the Mac I can't get this format of page numbers to work
properly.
I have tied/associated my chapter headings with a outline numbered list that
has "Heading" in it (i.e. under bullets and numbering) and have made my
chapter headings the associated "Heading" style. However, the only way I can
get page numbers to appear as 3-18 (for example) is to have a number in front
of the Chapter heading in my document. In other words, for 3-18 to appear as
the page number my Chapter heading in the text must be displayed as "3
Chapter 1", the 3 providing the 3 in the page number. Unfortunately the
chapter heading I want displayed is "Chapter 1", not "3 Chapter 1". Can
anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or point me to a simple step by step
tutorial?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"ATSFSS2008" wrote:

Using Word 2004 for the Mac I can't get this format of page numbers to work
properly.
I have tied/associated my chapter headings with a outline numbered list that
has "Heading" in it (i.e. under bullets and numbering) and have made my
chapter headings the associated "Heading" style. However, the only way I can
get page numbers to appear as 3-18 (for example) is to have a number in front
of the Chapter heading in my document. In other words, for 3-18 to appear as
the page number my Chapter heading in the text must be displayed as "3
Chapter 1", the 3 providing the 3 in the page number. Unfortunately the
chapter heading I want displayed is "Chapter 1", not "3 Chapter 1". Can
anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or point me to a simple step by step
tutorial?
Thanks

You mean, you would need 3 Chapter 3?

Are you manually typing "Chapter 1", then "Chapter 2" etc.?

If this is the case, the page number cannot pick up the chapter number if it
is manually typed.

Use Heading ! for your chapter headings.
When you define the Number scheme, in front of the auto number, type the
Word "Chapter " (with the space) in the "Number Format" field of the Bullet
and Numbering dialogue.

This way, the page number should pick up the chapter number.