Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default Creating a footer word 2007

Hi folks,

We are having trouble with Word 2007. and I am wondering if anyone can guide
me. We use footers in our office and insert the path and file on the bottom
left, then the date in the center on the bottom, and finally the page numbers
on the bottom right. (Format example: 1 of 10) in 2007 we have figured out
how to and all of those numbers, but getting them to line-up for each
document is a really headache and time consuming. So we are wondering if we
can edit that into our Normal.dotx file, and make the changes up with each
new file? File and path, date and page numbers. Can anyone help us out? even
help format one footer at a time would be ok if it wasn't so time consuming.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Anthony wrote:
Hi folks,

We are having trouble with Word 2007. and I am wondering if anyone
can guide me. We use footers in our office and insert the path and
file on the bottom left, then the date in the center on the bottom,
and finally the page numbers on the bottom right. (Format example: 1
of 10) in 2007 we have figured out how to and all of those numbers,
but getting them to line-up for each document is a really headache
and time consuming. So we are wondering if we can edit that into our
Normal.dotx file, and make the changes up with each new file? File
and path, date and page numbers. Can anyone help us out? even help
format one footer at a time would be ok if it wasn't so time
consuming. Thanks.

Please save yourself trouble down the road, and do not add any footer to the
Normal.dotm template. Among other things, that would mess up the layout if
you use the Labels dialog.

Instead, create a custom building block and add it to the footer gallery.
Here are the steps:

- In any document, create the footer you want, using the necessary fields.

- Select the whole footer.

- Press Alt+F3. In the dialog that appears, enter a name for this footer. In
the Gallery dropdown, choose Footers. In the Category dropdown, choose one
of the existing values or click the last line to create a new one. (Hint: To
get a new category to appear at or near the top of a gallery, start its name
with an underscore or a number.) Click OK.

To use this, put the cursor in the footer of a document and click the Footer
button on the Header & Footer Tools ribbon, then click the desired item in
the gallery.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anthony Anthony is offline

Thank you Jay,
I have a couple of questions then,
When you say select the footer, Do you mean just select the text in the
footer?
And is there a way to keep the text from jumping down tp the next line (or
out the page entirly) if you are working on a network, thus you can have a
rather long path and filename?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Anthony wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Anthony wrote:
Thank you Jay,
I have a couple of questions then,
When you say select the footer, Do you mean just select the text in
the footer?

Yes, that's what I mean. Most easily, put the cursor in the left margin next
to the beginning of the footer text so it becomes a northeast-pointing
arrow, and click.

And is there a way to keep the text from jumping down tp the next
line (or out the page entirly) if you are working on a network, thus
you can have a rather long path and filename?

Unfortunately, this is the old "ten pounds of stuff in a five-pound bag"
problem. You can try setting the font size of the filename field smaller; or
you can bow to the inevitable, put a line break after the file name, and
just accept that the footer is going to be two lines of text.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Anthony wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.