Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Confused is offline

Default Justify last line

Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Can you be a bit more descriptive of what you are trying to accomplish?

Justification is a para attribute & applies to all lines of the para
regardless of where a natural page break occurs within it. Also, Shift+Enter
has always created a _line break_ and still works the same in 2003.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/5/07 2:35 PM, in article
, "Confused"
wrote:

Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Confused is offline

Example, I have a paragraph at the end of a letter (all data being justified)
that will need to be continued to another page due to margin set up. On that
on that next page before I put the closing (very truly yours). So, I go to
the previous page and put a page break (which is CTRL + ENTER) so as to bring
at least 2 lines on the next page. When I do this, that last line on let's
say page 1 will not justify. In Word 2000, a SHIFT + ENTER at the end of the
line and then a CTRL + ENTER would cause that last line to justify.

wrote:

Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Compatibility tab of Tools | Options, make sure the box for "Don't
expand character spaces on the line ending Shift-Return" isn't checked.
Unless that option is enabled, inserting a line break should justify the
last line in a justified paragraph as usual.

But if you're just wanting to continue to a second page, you shouldn't have
to insert a line break at all--just keep typing. Perhaps you're inserting a
page break (Ctrl+Enter)? If so, a page break is by default accompanied by a
paragraph break, so you will indeed have to insert a line break as well.

"Confused" wrote in message
Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to

second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

If your paragraph has "widow and orphan control" turned on in the
Format Paragraph Line & Page Breaks dialog, you'll automatically
get at least two lines of the paragraph on page 2 without any manual
page break (as long as the paragraph has at least 4 lines, so it can
get 2 on page 1 and 2 on page 2). This should be set by default in
your Normal paragraph style, but you might have removed it at some
point.

If you still have the need to justify a line before a manual page
break, I find that it does work here as you described (Shift+Enter and
then Ctrl+Enter). Are you sure you're getting a line break from the
Shift+Enter keystroke? Turn on nonprinting characters (click the ¶
button) and verify that there's a left-pointing arrow at the end of
the line before the page break.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

wrote:

Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Confused Confused is offline

That's it! It worked. I didn't have the box checked in tools, options but
you mentioned a line break. I only knew of section and page break but did
know a line break. So I checked and there was a text wrapping break.....it
worked! Thanks.

"Confused" wrote in message
Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to

second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You were inserting a line break to begin with, using Shift+Enter.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Compatibility tab of Tools | Options, make sure the box for

"Don't
expand character spaces on the line ending Shift-Return" isn't checked.
Unless that option is enabled, inserting a line break should justify the
last line in a justified paragraph as usual.

But if you're just wanting to continue to a second page, you shouldn't

have
to insert a line break at all--just keep typing. Perhaps you're

inserting a
page break (Ctrl+Enter)? If so, a page break is by default accompanied

by a
paragraph break, so you will indeed have to insert a line break as well.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Confused" wrote in message
Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to

second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it

but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
last line justify in word 2007 last line justify in word 2007 is offline

How would one find this option in 2007, to deselect the option to disable the
last line justify?

thanks,

John

"Confused" wrote in message
Sometimes I need to justify the last line of a letter and continue to
second
page. I used to be able to do SHIFT + ENTER. Word 2003 doesn't do it

but
Word 2000 did. How do I do it in Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Word 2007, go to Office button Word Options Advanced. Scroll
all the way to the bottom of the dialog and click the link for Layout
Options. The option Suzanne mentioned is there, in alphabetic order.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You were inserting a line break to begin with, using Shift+Enter.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org