Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
HHB HHB is offline

Default is is possible to simply number pages in Word?

I have been using Word 2003 for years, and, for the most part, I consider
myself an expert in it. But I'll be gosh darned if I can figure out how to
format [expletive deleted] headers and footers.

Now that I've got that off my chest. I'm trying to page number a document
with three pages (1st page without number). My second page will not show as
page #2. But my third page will show as page 3. My second page says it's
Header-Section-1. My third page says its First Page Header -Section-2 .
I've tried relinking the 2nd page to page 1 but I can't because the "save as
previous" icon is grayed out.

How do I delete the 2nd page header, or otherwise set up my headers so that
all pages following page one are numbered?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

This article explains how to control page numbers:
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/PageNumbering.htm

About what you are currently experiencing:
Since your document has two sections, you have a section break on page 2 -
is this on purpose (e.g. because you have different columns, page orientation
or margins in the two sections)?

Since your header in Section 2 says "First Page Header€¦", Section 2 is
defined to have a different first page (most likely because your Section 1 is
defined to have a different first page - this setting is inherited by Section
2).

The reason why your header on page 2 cannot be set to "same as previous" is
that page 2 belongs to Section 1 - "Same as previous" can never be used in
Section 1 because there is no previous section to link to.

To correct your page numbering, try this:
First turn on formatting marks to that you can see non-printing characters.

1. Go to the header on page 3, Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+C to copy.

2. Go to the header on page 2, Ctrl+A to select all, Ctrl+V to paste. Delete
the superfluous empty paragraph at the bottom of the header.

3. If you have no reason for having two sections, go to the header on page 3
and make sure that "Same as previous" is turned _off_. Then delete the
section break on page 2.

Or

If you need the section break, go to page 3 and turn off "Different first
page" and remember to select "This section" in the "Apply to" list (via File
Page Setup Layout tab).

Hopefully, this will help you bring your page numbering back on track.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"HHB" wrote:

I have been using Word 2003 for years, and, for the most part, I consider
myself an expert in it. But I'll be gosh darned if I can figure out how to
format [expletive deleted] headers and footers.

Now that I've got that off my chest. I'm trying to page number a document
with three pages (1st page without number). My second page will not show as
page #2. But my third page will show as page 3. My second page says it's
Header-Section-1. My third page says its First Page Header -Section-2 .
I've tried relinking the 2nd page to page 1 but I can't because the "save as
previous" icon is grayed out.

How do I delete the 2nd page header, or otherwise set up my headers so that
all pages following page one are numbered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If you simply want page 1 with no numbering to appear & have pages 2-3
display those respective numbers you do *not* need section breaks.

If you were starting from scratch;

In FilePage Setup - Layout, put a check in the box for "Different First
Page". Then go to the second page's Header/Footer & insert the page number
field.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"HHB" wrote in message
I have been using Word 2003 for years, and, for the most part, I consider
myself an expert in it. But I'll be gosh darned if I can figure out how
format [expletive deleted] headers and footers.

Now that I've got that off my chest. I'm trying to page number a document
with three pages (1st page without number). My second page will not show
as
page #2. But my third page will show as page 3. My second page says
it's
Header-Section-1. My third page says its First Page Header -Section-2 .
I've tried relinking the 2nd page to page 1 but I can't because the "save
as
previous" icon is grayed out.

How do I delete the 2nd page header, or otherwise set up my headers so
that
all pages following page one are numbered?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
HHB HHB is offline

This is a document I inherited. So I am not interested in starting from
scratch. When I tried your suggestion Lene, all that happened was that my
second page was then numbered three - so that I had 2 pages numbered three. I
then went into Outline view to delete the page 2 section break but there
wasn't one?! So I deleted the break for page 3 instead--- and that did the
trick.

Thank you for getting me on track.

P.S. I hope the next version of Word is more intuitive than this.