Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Default Equation Editor attached to Word 2003

I am a computer novice. I have Office 2003. Microsoft's Equation Editor is
attached to my Word 2003. In order to install MathType, I must de-activate or
remove Microsoft's Equation Editor. How do I do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't believe you need to remove Equation Editor before installing
MathType. See
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/ma...how_to_install .

jfg wrote:

I am a computer novice. I have Office 2003. Microsoft's Equation Editor is
attached to my Word 2003. In order to install MathType, I must de-activate or
remove Microsoft's Equation Editor. How do I do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Thanks for your response, Garfield.

MathType has come out with Version 6. I tried to install it and got the
error message that neither MathType 5.2 nor Microsoft's Equation Editor could
be running. Furthermore, I could not uninstall MathType 5.2 while the
Equation Editor was running. My solution was to uninstall Office 2003 and
then MathType 5.2.

jfg wrote:

I am a computer novice. I have Office 2003. Microsoft's Equation Editor is
attached to my Word 2003. In order to install MathType, I must de-activate or
remove Microsoft's Equation Editor. How do I do this?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 26-Jul-2007, jfg wrote:

Thanks for your response, Garfield.

MathType has come out with Version 6. I tried to install it
and got the error message that neither MathType 5.2 nor
Microsoft's Equation Editor could be running. Furthermore,
I could not uninstall MathType 5.2 while the Equation
Editor was running. My solution was to uninstall Office
2003 and then MathType 5.2.

Actually, garfield-n-odie was correct. It wasn't necessary to
uninstall MathType 5.2 in order to install MathType 6, nor was it
necessary to uninstall either Office 2003 or Equation Editor in
order to install MathType 6. It's just that, like the message
said, none of these applications could be *running* at the time
you install MathType 6. If the MathType *server* was running (a
normal condition), the install would not have continued. The
MathType server is indicated by an icon that looks like 3
cascading white pages, the front one having a blue Sigma symbol
on it. This icon is located in the notification area (formerly
known as the system tray), which is the area of icons at the
lower right corner of your monitor screen, to the left of the
clock. To exit the MathType server, right-click on it and select
"Exit".

At any rate, I'm glad you finally got MathType 6 installed. If
you have any problems with it, there is extensive online
documentation in the Help menu. Feel free to write us directly
with any concerns or problems that may arise: .

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Thank you very much, Bob. I was not aware of the MathType icon in the
notification area. I have just identified it, so if I need to stop MathType 6
from running in the future, I now know how to do it.

The very best,

jfg

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

On 26-Jul-2007, jfg wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On 26-Jul-2007, jfg wrote:

Thank you very much, Bob. I was not aware of the MathType
icon in the notification area. I have just identified it, so if
I need
to stop MathType 6 from running in the future, I now know how
to do it.

Glad to help. BTW, another thing that's nice to realize about the
MathType Server (and the icon) is that when you make changes to
your keyboard shortcuts, toolbars, and functions recognized,
these changes aren't saved until the server exits. Personally, I
just leave the server on all the time, but if I *really* want to
make sure my recent customizations are saved (not lost, like in
the event of a computer crash) I manually shut down the server.
It only costs me a few extra seconds next time I use MathType.

When you save Preference Files (Preferences Equation
preferences Save to file) these are saved immediately, hence
don't require the server to be shut down in order to save.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

This information you have given me is so very valuable. Thanks a million ----
and thanks for this really great product -MathType!

jfg

bobm at dessci.com