Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
madboarderben madboarderben is offline

Default How do I delete a point in a numbered list?

How do I fix the formatting in a multi-level numbered list if I delete a
point eg,

6 Banking arrangements
6.1 The bankers of the Partnership shall be the Bank and any such other
bank as the Partners may from time to time appoint as a subsidiary bank of
the Partnership.
6.2 The Initial Bank (or any replacement for it) may be replaced at any
time by the Partners.
6.3 All money, cheques and drafts received by or on behalf of the
Partnership shall be paid promptly into the bank account

I want to delete 6.2 and then continue the list, so 6.3 would be the new 6.2
etc.

PS using "continue numbering" seems to want to copy the number from the
previous point, so I'd have two 6.3's????

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Place the insertion point at the beginning of the numbered paragraph, and
then press BackSpace one. That deletes the numbering but preserves the
indentation.

To clear both the numbering and the indentation, you could press
Ctrl+Shift+N, which (re-)applies the Normal style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"madboarderben" wrote in message
How do I fix the formatting in a multi-level numbered list if I delete a
point eg,

6 Banking arrangements
6.1 The bankers of the Partnership shall be the Bank and any such other
bank as the Partners may from time to time appoint as a subsidiary bank of
the Partnership.
6.2 The Initial Bank (or any replacement for it) may be replaced at any
time by the Partners.
6.3 All money, cheques and drafts received by or on behalf of the
Partnership shall be paid promptly into the bank account

I want to delete 6.2 and then continue the list, so 6.3 would be the new
6.2
etc.

PS using "continue numbering" seems to want to copy the number from the
previous point, so I'd have two 6.3's????

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
madboarderben madboarderben is offline

thanks, but i dont think i made it clear. Im trying to delete the actual
text and then continue my list? So i want to keep the numbers but lose the
text so the list numbering flows on?

thanks

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
madboarderben madboarderben is offline

You would think so wouldnt you, but not with this doc Im trying to edit - its
forty pages long with around 30 points all with sub points. When I delete a
point - i.e. 6.2 it doesnt automatically replace it with the next point so my
list goes 6.1, 6.3,6.4 etc, and I have to manually change the numbers.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The best way to fix this would be to create a list style with the desired
formatting and then apply it to the list items.

Another solution that *could* work is copying the formatting of a "working"
numbered item, by using Ctrl+Shift+C, and pasting it to the problematic ones
via Ctrl+Shift+V.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I thought this was list numbering, not field numbering?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP