Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mark Nicholls Mark Nicholls is offline

Default Can't change Global Template & can't find normal.dot....

I have recently changed to Office 2003 from Office XP but am completely
bewildered as to how to change the default document characteristics -
margins, font etc. The 'default' button under 'page setup' doesn't seem to
work - the original default page re-appears whenever I re-open Word. I've
tried to 'manually' edit normal.dot but can't find it under
Microsoft/templates - can anyone give any advice please: this was quite easy
under Office XP!

Best wishes

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

From the FAQ:

28. I can't save my customizations - AutoText, menus, etc.
Can't save normal.dot...
If you have Adobe Acrobat 7 installed see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.
Otherwise, hold down the Shift key when selecting the File
menu and select Save All.
See also http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331259.html.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Mark Nicholls" wrote in message
I have recently changed to Office 2003 from Office XP but am completely
bewildered as to how to change the default document characteristics -
margins, font etc. The 'default' button under 'page setup' doesn't seem to
work - the original default page re-appears whenever I re-open Word. I've
tried to 'manually' edit normal.dot but can't find it under
Microsoft/templates - can anyone give any advice please: this was quite
easy under Office XP!

Best wishes

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi Mark,

I have recently changed to Office 2003 from Office XP but am completely
bewildered as to how to change the default document characteristics -
margins, font etc. The 'default' button under 'page setup' doesn't seem to
work - the original default page re-appears whenever I re-open Word. I've
tried to 'manually' edit normal.dot but can't find it under
Microsoft/templates - can anyone give any advice please: this was quite easy
under Office XP!

Not sure if this is going to help, but..

1. Normal.dot was probably installed as "hidden". Try a Windows "search", and
activate the Advanced option to include hidden folders and templates

2. If you upgraded, Word really should have kept your old Normal.dot. I can't
tell from here what may or may not have happened, but when you do the search,
do you get more than one "hit" for Normal.dot?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mark Nicholls Mark Nicholls is offline

Fantastic! It would appear all I needed to do was update Acrobat 7, which
has done the trick perfectly. Many thanks indeed for that!

Best wishes

Mark

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in message
From the FAQ:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mark Nicholls Mark Nicholls is offline

Thanks for the suggestion Cindy, but the problem seems to have been because
of Acrobat 7, which I've now fixed thanks to Charles' message.

Thanks any way for troubling to reply!

Best wishes

Mark

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message

[...]