Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] excel_hari@yahoo.com is offline

Default Object coordinates in word

Hi,

This is somewhat related to my post in VBA group, but I thought I would
take a step back and first try to understand as to how I would do the
following manually and then get on to automating it.

I want to paste a particular chart in a specific position within word
(the way one can do in Powerpoint).

First of all, in word do we have the concept of coordinates for each
object?

I see that If I have 2 Textbox side by side in a page and If I keep my
cursor anywhere inside the first textbox (Left textbox) one of them
then the bottom information bar displays the following:-

a) Page 10, Sec 6 , 10/54, At 7.4" Col 1

On the other hand, If I keep my cursor inside anywhere in the second
text box (right TB) then I get the following info:-

b) Page 10, Sec 6 , 10/54, At 6.9" Col 4

I want to understand as to what is meant by At 7.4". Can one navigate
to let' say At 8.5" , the way one can navgate to a certain page using
Ctrl + G?

I have also looked at Right click object -- Format object -- Layout (In
front of Text) -- Advanced -- Picture position -- Absolute position to
right of Page and Absloute position .... below page, but am not sure as
to whether this will solve my problem. Because, I would need to
navigate to that particular coordinate before I paste my object and I
dont how to navigate to a particular absolute position in word

Please guide me.

Regards,
HP
India

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

When you're dealing with objects in VBA, "navigating and then pasting"
is the wrong idea. The programmatic interface for objects works quite
differently from the user interface.

Instead, you create the object with its anchor on the desired page
(for example, by using the ActiveDocument.Shapes.AddTextbox statement)
and then apply attributes to it. The ones related to the object's
position on the page include RelativeHorizontalPosition and
RelativeVerticalPosition; HorizontalPosition and VerticalPosition; and
Top, Left, Width, and Height.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman