Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] stevewy@hotmail.com is offline

Default Getting rid of "separate header" option?

If you are using an Excel spreadsheet as your data source, by default
Word will take the first row of the first sheet as the "header
source". If you have to work on a Word document (say, a letter) that
previously had a separate header source applied to it, how do you tell
Word that you now want to revert back to using the first row of the
first sheet as the header source. It keeps trying to look for the
previous separate header source file. I've tried just giving it the
filename of the spreadsheet as its header source (i.e. the same file
as the data source), but it won't have it.

Surely there must be a way of "resetting" the option back to not using
a separate header source?

Thank you for any assistance you can give. I have Googled for this
but can find no specific reference to removing it - only putting it on
in the first place.

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Changing the mail merge main document type to a normal Word document and
then change it back to the type of mail merge main document that you want to
create should remove the header/data source information. You can then
attach the new data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Changing the mail merge main document type to a normal Word document and
then change it back to the type of mail merge main document that you want to
create should remove the header/data source information. You can then
attach the new data source.

I tried that, but it did not work. And in answer to the other
question, it is Word 2003/Excel 2003 we are using.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I tried the same as Doug, and did various tests all of which showed that
the headersource was removed. So either you are not doing the same as us
or maybe there is something different about your document.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote:
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:
Changing the mail merge main document type to a normal Word document and
then change it back to the type of mail merge main document that you want to
create should remove the header/data source information. You can then
attach the new data source.

I tried that, but it did not work. And in answer to the other
question, it is Word 2003/Excel 2003 we are using.

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Peter Jamieson wrote:
I tried the same as Doug, and did various tests all of which showed that
the headersource was removed. So either you are not doing the same as us
or maybe there is something different about your document.

Hmm... quite possibly. The department that sent it down to us did say
it had been produced from a Word-compatible application (not Word
itself). However, we have managed to complete the job by producing
another separate header source with the correct fieldnames in, and
linking to that!

But thanks for the info - I will certainly use that method in future.
If we get another "funny" file down and converting it back to a normal
Word document does not work, I'll post to this thread again and we'll
see what's afoot!

Thank you again.
Steve