Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John Sutton

Default Two formatted lines for the price of one

I have a rather complicated document, really a form, that is duplexed
and Legal sized. It has all of the space used up, now I need to add
another part without changing the 'size' of the doc. What I need is
basically two lines to take the space of 1.5.

I have a line currently sized at 1.5 lines, and it has a first part

'Amount of clissified loans:'
followed by labeled spaces for entry.
I need for another line below this to say
'Or internal watch list:' and for the labeled spaces to land
overlapping the two, so that both of the lines are applied to them.
Kind of like this-

'Amount of clissified loans:'
Substandard $_____________
'Or internal watch list:'

Only the Substandard part would not be on a line by itself.

Hopefully I've explained myself, thanks in advance for any help. I've
scoured these newsgroups, looked at the help, the MVP FAQ pages. I
will continue to do so.

John
KBS

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John Sutton

Sorry, I'm in Windows XP with Word 2002.

On Wed, 03 May 2006 14:54:03 -0500, John Sutton
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John Sutton

Thank you Suzanne, I had already looked at this.

This form was originally built using Wordstar, and my boss has become
quite adept at using Wordstar to do ANYTHING he wants. Since we've
transferred to Word, it's fallen to me to be able to accomplish the
kinds of things he's used to doing. Part of the problem is that this
is a form we will send to the customer, and it needs to be 'typewriter
ready', meaning when the load it into a typewriter and line up the
first line, the rest fall in line.

Maybe this is not possible in Word, I know it's possible in Wordstar,
I've seen it. If more explaination is necessary, please let me know.

Thanks
John
KBS

On Wed, 3 May 2006 16:28:31 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

You might see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

To be typewriter-friendly, a Word document must use Exact line spacing of 12
pts (single spacing = 6 lpi) or 24 pts (double = 3 lpi). Anything you do
other than that should be in half-line (6-pt) increments.

wrote:

You might see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John Sutton

That is Correct, what I am trying to do will leave the typing portion
of the line in the same place.

The typing portion is set at 12pts, I'd like the heading portions to
be set at 6 each, so that they both reside on the same area (in front
of) as the typing portion.

I get the feeling that this is insanity........... :O)

John
KBS

On Thu, 4 May 2006 08:49:47 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

To be typewriter-friendly, a Word document must use Exact line spacing of 12
pts (single spacing = 6 lpi) or 24 pts (double = 3 lpi). Anything you do
other than that should be in half-line (6-pt) increments.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
John Sutton

Suzanne,
Thanks for your efforts. What I wound up doing is to insert a text box
with what I wanted on it, then positioning it where I needed it.

Kind of kludgy, but I've got to move forward.

Do you have any advanced training recommendations?
I could take something, but the two I've taken so far, I've known more
than the people teaching the class.

Best regards,

wrote:

To be typewriter-friendly, a Word document must use Exact line spacing of 12
pts (single spacing = 6 lpi) or 24 pts (double = 3 lpi). Anything you do
other than that should be in half-line (6-pt) increments.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

A text box is about the only recourse in this sort of situation, I think.

I could take something, but the two I've taken so far, I've known more
than the people teaching the class.

That's the way I feel about books. Whenever there's a Word area I don't
understand, I find that it is one too abstruse to be covered by the usual
texts. There are a lot of good articles at http://word.mvps.org and at
various Word MVP Web sites. I don't know of any specific training, though.