Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Allan Fullerton Allan Fullerton is offline

Default Cannot type parentheses in Word

When I am writing a document in Word 2003 and I which to put quotation marks
at the beginning, all I get is two dots above the first letter in the quote.
How can I change the settings so that when I type quotation marks I get
quotation marks?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure where the parentheses you mention in the subject line fall in
but as far as you quotation marks go, I'd suggest looking at your paragraph
spacing to start with.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Allan Fullerton" Allan wrote in
message ...
When I am writing a document in Word 2003 and I which to put quotation
marks
at the beginning, all I get is two dots above the first letter in the
quote.
How can I change the settings so that when I type quotation marks I get
quotation marks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Cannot type quotes in Word

With English regional settings/ keyboard layout it is quite difficult to
accidentally type a letter (a vowel) with two dots over it (CTRL+SHIFT+;
then the letter), so the implications are that you have a non-English
keyboard layout configured in Windows, or you have some form of unwanted
autocorrect entry. My guess is the former.

Allan Fullerton wrote:
When I am writing a document in Word 2003 and I which to put
quotation marks at the beginning, all I get is two dots above the
first letter in the quote. How can I change the settings so that when
I type quotation marks I get quotation marks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

so the implications are that you have a non-English
keyboard layout configured in Windows

I'll second that - but if you have you will see the same behaviour in all
applications, not just Word. Perhaps you are set to use a "United States
International" keyboard.

If you want to keep some of the features of the keyboard you can get the
double quote from it by pressing space after the quote. What happens is that
the keypress (similarly single quote, caret, tilde, etc.) is remembered
until you press another key at which time a decision can be made as to what
you actually intended to input. If you follow the double quote with a letter
which can have a diaeresis, a vowel (which is presumably what you are
doing), then you will get the vowel with the diaeresis; if you follow it
with most other characters you will get the double quote followed by the
character (and so need do nothing special) but if you follow it with a space
you'll just get the double quote (if you want a double quote followed by a
space you have to press the spacebar a second time).

--
Enjoy,
Tony