Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RKB - Needs help RKB - Needs help is offline

Default how to download MS word onto home computer from MS site?

I have windows XP home edition-- It came with word pad only which does not
have much of the MS word functions. We need to download Micorsoft Word.
There are so many "fake" items out there for "freedown loads" Can anyone
tell me the step via MS site to download MS Word to our home computer?
Thanks Rock
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:52:01 -0700, RKB - Needs help RKB - Needs
wrote:

I have windows XP home edition-- It came with word pad only which does not
have much of the MS word functions. We need to download Micorsoft Word.
There are so many "fake" items out there for "freedown loads" Can anyone
tell me the step via MS site to download MS Word to our home computer?
Thanks Rock

If you expect a free download of Word, that won't happen. Word and the
other Office products are not included as part of Windows, they're
separately sold products.

There are a number of ways to get a fully licensed copy of Word. All
except the last provide you with a CD, which is important in case you
need to reinstall the software (for example, if your hard disk
crashes).

- Probably the least expensive is to buy Microsoft Works Suite 2006,
which includes Word 2002. That's the version before the most recent
one. This is available on Amazon.com for $75 after rebate
(
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...6ZT8?v=glance),
or slightly less at some other sites.

- If you're eligible under the very accommodating terms, buy the
Student and Teachers edition of Microsoft Office 2003. That will be
about $110
(http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Offi...F8&s=software).

- Buy the full Microsoft Office package or just Word by itself, from
an online vendor or from an office-supply store or the like. You'll
probably find that Word alone costs more than half as much as the full
Office selection.

- The most expensive option, but the only way to download the program,
is direct from Microsoft's site at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/word...y/default.mspx. I'd
definitely consider this the last resort, both for the expense and
because you don't get a physical disk.

If "free" is the right price and you don't need all the bells and
whistles, try http://www.openoffice.org.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are no legal ways to download Word for free. You must pay for it, like
the rest of us did. It probably would have been less expensive to have
ordered it with your computer but I've found Amazon.com to have the best
retail prices for software.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]