Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
desperate in MS desperate in MS is offline

Default Toolbar links to Portals

Swore I was going to figure this out...but I've tried.

OK...I have created a word Normal.dot (currently working it as a Normal.doc)
with custom toolbars with links to document on a shared drive.

Now....when I am in a program that is on "portal J" and select "the type of
OLE connection to the new document" - "embed" it opens my word template.

Here is my problem. If I type something on the blank document and go to
close it ask me "object changed. Do you want to send this to the Server?"
This works..now..
when I open a document from my custom toolbar it opens...but..when I make
changes it want to save the changes back to the "shared drive" (where doc is
located) rather than to the "portal J" as embeded.

I found in the Control Toolbox under "more controls" "Portal J OLE
control"...but I don't know what to do with it, if this is even an
option...Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A few observations.

Only Word can create the normal template, which for Word versions before
2007 is normal.dot. You can edit the normal.dot that Word has created, but
it is best to keep edits to the documen t area at a minimum. In particular
do not insert header/footers.

I have no idea what you mean by (currently working it as a Normal.doc) A
Word template can never be a document.

If Word wants to save the normal template on closing when you have not made
changes that would be reflected in the template, then there are probably
orphan lock files present, or you have some other fault condition -
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

If you make changes to a document, then Word will prompt you to save changes
to the document.

My guess is that your 'program' is opening the normal template rather than
creating a new document from it. Check the Windows default action for double
clicking a template (.dot) is NEW rather than OPEN.