Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Gauci Paul Gauci is offline

Default Skip Numbering Command

How can one make the Word 2007 'Skip Numbering' command work please?

--
Paul Gauci
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you "skíp numbers" in the Set Numbering Value dialog box, Word just
seems to insert the number of paragraphs so that the specified number is
displayed at the insertion point. It does seem a bit strange, but I think
this is the way it is supposed to work. Read also the following from Word
Help:

*********************
Advance the numbering manually in a list
Certain numbered lists - for example, legal lists - require the ability to
change a number manually and for Word to correctly change the numbers that
follow. You can use the Set Numbering Value option to change a number
manually while Word renumbers the list that follows.

1. Right-click the number in the list that you want to change.
2. Click Set Numbering Value and then do one of the following:
a. Click Start new list and change the value of the selected number in
the Set value to box.
b. Click Continue from previous list, select the Advance value (skip
numbers) check box, and then change the value of the selected number in the
Set value to box that corresponds to the level of the number that you
selected.
*********************

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul Gauci" wrote in message
How can one make the Word 2007 'Skip Numbering' command work please?

--
Paul Gauci

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Gauci Paul Gauci is offline

I have tried ti use the Skip Numbering icon but it simply does not function.
--
Paul Gauci

When you "skÃ*p numbers" in the Set Numbering Value dialog box, Word just

"Paul Gauci" wrote in message
How can one make the Word 2007 'Skip Numbering' command work please?

--
Paul Gauci

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which command are you referring to, exactly? I assumed you meant the radio
button in the Set Numbering Value dialog box, which you can open by
right-clicking a numbered list and choosing Set Numbering Value from the
context menu.

Note that if you are trying to "turn off" numbering, pressing Ctrl+Shift+N
(to reapply the Normal style) should do the trick.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul Gauci" wrote in message
How can one make the Word 2007 'Skip Numbering' command work please?

--
Paul Gauci

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Paul Gauci Paul Gauci is offline

I am refering to one of the many [highly confusing] green-button icons, which
is not in the Ribbon but can be inserted in the Quick Access Toolbar, that
should enable the user to remove a number/bullet or numbers/bullets in a
numbered/bulleted List, while retaining the same alignment of the
numbered/bulletted paragraphs in the List.

I also have another question regarding Lists. What has happend in Word 2007
to the capability in the Format Bullets and Numbering command which permitted
(in Word 2003 and earlier versions) the alingnment of bulleted/numbered
paragraphs?

--
Paul Gauci

"Paul Gauci" wrote in message
How can one make the Word 2007 'Skip Numbering' command work please?

--
Paul Gauci

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In general, it is more reliable to use specific numbered/bulleted styles
(such as List Bullet and List Number) for numbered paragraphs and the
corresponding List Continue style (indented but not bulleted or numbered)
for the continuation paragraphs.