Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TM TM is offline

Default How do I maintain a field length in merged documents

In a merged document, on the same line I have 2 merged fields. However if the
field on the left of the document extends into the field on the right hand
side, the right hand field ends up on another line. I want to tell the left
sided field to print say only 20 characters, even if the field contains say
30 characters.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot merge part of a field.
You could merge into a fixed width and height borderless table cell and that
would restrict how much of the fields was viewable, but it would still all
be merged.