Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dhoward via OfficeKB.com

Default Mail Merge to Create a List Sorted by Category

I found this link in a posting from March 28 titled "Limit data merging into
Word Doc" http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;211303. I
was able to merge my data sorted by category. But I can't figure out how to
use this merge to create a table. I've pasted the merge below. The third
line to the second appearance of MERGEFIELD Sales is all in the same bracket,
I haven't been able to use this merge routine in a table. Any ideas?

{ IF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{ MERGEFIELD City }" "" }ENTER
{ SET Place1 { MERGEFIELD City }}ENTER
{ If { Place2 } { Place1 }"ENTER
{ MERGEFIELD City }ENTER
ENTER
{ MERGEFIELD Employee }{ MERGEFIELD Sales }" "{ MERGEFIELD Employee }{
MERGEFIELD Sales }" }{ SET Place2 { MERGEFIELD City }}ENTER

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Do you mean that the method does not even produce the list you expect even
if you do not try to put the putput into a table? If so, are you sure that
all the {} are field braces, i.e. the sort you can enter using ctrl-F9.

Or do you mean that the example works in the sense that you can get the
correct list of data, but fails when you try to format that list as a table?
If so, that is normal, and not easy to solve using this method - you may
need to use the DATABASE field approach described on Cindy Meister's pages
at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/

- see Mailmerge FAQ, Special Merges, Multiple Items per condition.

However, Word has many limitations in this area and you may be better off
producing this kind of report using something like the report generator in
Access (especially if your data is already held in that package!)

Peter Jamieson

"dhoward via OfficeKB.com" u10035@uwe wrote in message
I found this link in a posting from March 28 titled "Limit data merging
into
Word Doc" http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;211303.
was able to merge my data sorted by category. But I can't figure out how
use this merge to create a table. I've pasted the merge below. The third
line to the second appearance of MERGEFIELD Sales is all in the same
bracket,
I haven't been able to use this merge routine in a table. Any ideas?

{ IF { MERGESEQ } = "1" "{ MERGEFIELD City }" "" }ENTER
{ SET Place1 { MERGEFIELD City }}ENTER
{ If { Place2 } { Place1 }"ENTER
{ MERGEFIELD City }ENTER
ENTER
{ MERGEFIELD Employee }{ MERGEFIELD Sales }" "{ MERGEFIELD Employee }{
MERGEFIELD Sales }" }{ SET Place2 { MERGEFIELD City }}ENTER

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
dhoward via OfficeKB.com

Thanks for your posting. I did mean your second question. I will study her
suggestions and see if I can figure out how to implement.

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]