Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] beth.morrison@henlaw.com is offline

Default Cross Reference display problem -- deletes surrounding text

Help!

I'm creating a multi-section doc to be used as a merge form, with
numbered styles (created using the MacPac numbering suite, not using
the native Word headings). I have multiple cross references showing
only the paragraph numbers, and cross references within the main
section of the doc work just fine. But I'm having horrible trouble
inserting cross references in a different section of the doc that refer
back to paragraphs in the main section.

When I insert a section break in the different section, with Alt-F9
toggled so that I can see the actual cross reference code, the
surrounding text displays correctly on screen along with the code. But
when I toggle the Alt-F9 so that only the paragraph number should show,
all the text in the paragraph prior to the cross reference code
disappears. The same holds true in Print PreviewNor does that text
show in Print Preview. Toggling Alt-F9 restores the text on screen but
expands the code.

The document prints properly, with all the text and the cross reference
where they should be. But my users are not going to be able to cope
with not seeing large chunks of their document. Has this ever happened
to anyone else?

Using Windows NT, Word 2002, Legal MacPac 9.7.2.